3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2013 3:18 PM by philmodjunk

Format a date when not in layout mode?

ChrisJohnston

Title

Format a date when not in layout mode?

Does FileMaker have a function that can format a date the way you would like? The one in the Inspector is like what I am talking about. Or do you have to write one yourself?

I have a date in one of my calculations that leaves off leading zeros on days and months I want:

9/2/2013 to be 09/02/2013

Are there any documents by FileMaker that show functions and formatting like dd = 09 YYYY = 2013?

• 1. Re: Format a date when not in layout mode?
          philmodjunk

I have a date in one of my calculations that leaves off leading zeros on days and months I want:

9/2/2013 to be 09/02/2013

But why does that require formatting the result in BROWSE mode? You can still format a calculation field, if its result type is date, while in layout mode to use leading zeroes.

Are there any documents by FileMaker that show functions and formatting like dd = 09 YYYY = 2013

Not sure what you mean by that example but, you can enter functions into FileMaker help an get a list of all functions--either sorted by name or by general category. That can produce a list of all date functions.

• 2. Re: Format a date when not in layout mode?
            ChrisJohnston

Show me how to use these listing functions please. Exciting! As it related to list generation from the document that you suggested Copy and Paste not a good way to go. This one http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2403 I did not use copy and paste. I set variables and used functions to produce what I want. Where I extracted some of the dates from I like the formatting and want it to stay that way. The new content is what I want to format, maybe via calculations, functions.

What I mean by like dd = 09 YYYY = 2013, is a lot of programs and programing language have a legend of some type that lets you know the ways in a date function to specify the format you want.

• 3. Re: Format a date when not in layout mode?
              philmodjunk

Show me how to use these listing functions please.

Press F1 to open FileMaker help. Enter the key word: Function. Click List Topics. Scann down the list of titles and you'll see one named "Functions Reference" and another named "Functions Reference (Category List)".

Where I extracted some of the dates from I like the formatting and want it to stay that way.

To repeat: this can be done by selecting "date" as the calculation result type in the specify calculation dialog and then, when you put the field on a layout, use the inspector to format the date as you want.

Data masks such as dd/mm/yyyy are not used in FileMaker.