8 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2011 11:25 AM by LaRetta_1

Format of report disappears when records are sorted in another layout

henrikarnth-jensen

Title

Format of report disappears when records are sorted in another layout

My first post and 1 week into using filemakerpro 11.

I have created a layout in the report format which showed clients alphabetically (from a table of clients) and the items they purcahsed (from the table of items). It was perfect.

Then on the list of items I sorted items alphabetically.

Returing to the layout in the report format described above, the client namer were gone, the formatting disappeared, and all there remains is a list of items.

I have attached a picture of the layout in the "edit" mode and of the result.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Screen_shot_2011-05-26_at_10.31.52_AM.png

• 1. Re: Format of report disappears when records are sorted in another layout
          LaRetta_1

It is better to display your layouts for review in layout mode so we can see the parts and field names.  But your report is not sorted and is in Preview Mode so this tells us a few things.

"I have created a layout in the report format which showed clients alphabetically (from a table of clients) and the items they purcahsed (from the table of items). It was perfect."

... then I suspect you have a leading part made up of Client and your report must be sorted FIRST by Client and THEN by Item (then store this sort at the beginning of your report once you found the records you want. 

• 2. Re: Format of report disappears when records are sorted in another layout
            henrikarnth-jensen

I have just tried to insert the screen shot of the layout mode.. but no luck there.

Thank you.. that was very helpful.

So despite the report being formatted to break the records down first by name and then by underlying items it still needs to be manually sorted by name for it to work. I am not sure yet why that makes sense, but I can accept it.

So I should include a script that automatically sorts by name when this particular report is accessed.

My learning curve is very steep at the moment, and I have the feeling it will be for some time. 

• 3. Re: Format of report disappears when records are sorted in another layout
              LaRetta_1

In the same script where you decide what records to view and then go to the report layout, add your sort something like this sequence ...

find your records
              go to your report layout
              sort records
              display in preview if needed

... but yes, a summarized report must be sorted by what is called the break field(s) and, in this case, it is first by name (if that is the first leading part.  The good thing about tough learning curves is that you won't go to bed bored. :^)

• 4. Re: Format of report disappears when records are sorted in another layout
                henrikarnth-jensen

Thank you very much.. tremendously helpful.

No boredom whatsoever, trying very hard to concentrate on a single thing. The number problems and possibilities are increasing considerably faster than the solved problems are. I thought excel was fun... this is nuts.

• 5. Re: Format of report disappears when records are sorted in another layout
                  LaRetta_1

"I thought excel was fun... this is nuts."

That's why we get paid the big bucks! Laughing

• 6. Re: Format of report disappears when records are sorted in another layout
                    henrikarnth-jensen

"That's why we get paid the big bucks! Laughing"  and that is why I have to do it myself rather than hire someone :)

• 7. Re: Format of report disappears when records are sorted in another layout
                      Jeannine

... then I suspect you have a leading part made up of Client and your report must be sorted FIRST by Client and THEN by Item (then store this sort at the beginning of your report once you found the records you want. 

how do you store the sort? I have a file I am working on that has one layout containing the data, then other layouts for reporting...which are set up with sub-summaries (leading). Several of the report layouts are sorted year, month, week of year, date. But I have one that I need to sort operator, year, month, etc....and I can't seem to get it to work.

• 8. Re: Format of report disappears when records are sorted in another layout
                        LaRetta_1

Hi Jeannine,

A report must be defined with leading parts in how you want it  grouped.   So in your last example, you would want three leading parts  in this order:

Leading Part - Operator
                        Leading Part - Year
                        Leading Part - Month

... and then you can manually sort in this  order then open your script and select the script-step called Sort.   After you insert this step into your script, click the 'specify' button  and you will see that your last manual sort is still there.  If you say  OK, it will add the words [Restore] to the end of your sort script-step  so you know that it is now attached ONLY to this particular script.

The  best way to get familiar with reporting is to create a new layout and  specify 'report' and let the Report Wizard take you through it.  Group  first by Operator then by Year etc.  As you make your selections notice  that Report Assistant displays the configuration to the right of your  dialog so you can see how it will be grouping.  Let the Report Assistant  also do the sort for you, let it create the script, and follow the  prompts to add sub-summaries and totals to the report.

It isn't  even necessary to keep the body once the report is done.  If you wish to  only see sub-totals but not the detail, delete the body completely for  summarized reporting.  Once you've played with Report Wizard a bit (by creating new layouts), you will see how it all goes together.  Of course it doesn't come close to the flexiblity of Crystal Reports but then, nothing does.