Formatted email

jmmx

Title

Formatted email

A Question...

Problem:

My client needs to send formatted emails that contain text such as:

Work site:      Off Site

The easy way would be to may a layout with all the text and data and send this to the email. Unfortunately, all the text formatting gets lost when I do this. I can generate a pdf, but she wants it in the body of the msg not an attachment.

It seems that FMP 10 is not capable of doing what I need, so I created an elaborate system of a mini-interpreter to copy all the formatted data into an "email msg" table and the copy the msg body into the clipboard, call up the email client, and she then pastes into the message. But this is not a great solution, and is problematic.

Question:

FMP 10 does not appear to be able to send a formatted layout to an email message -

>> Can FMP 11 do this?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Formatted email
          casey777

You need to use a plugin, like SMPTit Pro, so you can place a layout inline in your email. 

• 2. Re: Formatted email
            jmmx

Why the heck can't Filemaker do this?? I mean - it aint rocket science!

Not much reason for me to upgrade I guess.

• 3. Re: Formatted email
              jmmx

Does SMTPit let you pass a regular layout or do you have to program it line for line?

• 4. Re: Formatted email
                aammondd

Are you trying to basically pass a screenshot? Or simply data from the layout?

• 5. Re: Formatted email
                  jmmx

Data from the layout - formatted!   I do not want to send a jpeg.

I actually have a solution - I created a mini interpreter that allows client to specify an email with text opening and closing parts, and a list of data lines with labels and data items (as in original post). These are written - formatted - into the message text field.

Then I copy the message text onto the clipboard and create the email. When that opens in her email client, she can paste the formatted text into the email. It is a bit klugie, but she is happy with it. This allows her to create new ones easily by  entering the parts into the Template records. 

It just seems that it is such a basic concept to copy a formatted layout to an email that it ought to be part of FMP.

I looked at SMTPit, and it seemed like I would have to program every one of her reports. (Client can do a lot in FMP, but only very basic programming.) We want to get away from this.

Thanks to you all for your ideas and efforts.