4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2010 11:24 PM by mattnyc

Formatting

mattnyc

Title

Formatting

I have a field with 26 containers of information.  Are their no other formats, but this one?  I can't find anything.  I went into Layout, but I don't see how that relates to the field at all.  Now that I've got all this data, I can't seem to do anything with it.  Isn't it possible to convert this file to a different format?  By format, I mean, without the containers.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Formatting
          LaRetta_1

We need more information.  Yes, there are different formats than containers - there are text, number, date fields etc.  But if you attempt to convert from container to date (for instance) then you will lose the data that exists (which is already now worthless anyway).

A bit of background would help:  What type of data do the 26 containers represent?  How was the data migrated and when?  How is the data used?  The person who creates the file is in charge of assigning the data type at creation.  Have you tried creating a new field in File > Manage > Database and (in the Fields tab), create new field, type text?

• 2. Re: Formatting
            mattnyc

Let me shift my question since I've made some progress.  I redid this database, setting up the layout first.  I have 10 fields inside each record.  Two fields have a lot of text -- and only the frist line shows.  Is there a way to go in and increase the size of the boxes without throwing it all into dissary?  I tried increasing height in inspector, but it just created a mess.  Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: Formatting
              LaRetta_1

Text, when User clicks into the field, will expand to show the text.  If you want the text to always display it all (in Form view), the fields must be sized to fit the text or you need to provide a scroll bar so User can scroll to see additional text not shown.  For reports, use a report and set the text fields to the largest they might ever require and then set them to slide up and also resize enclosing part (see Inspector > Position > Sliding or prior to vs. 11, Format > Set Sliding/Printing).

• 4. Re: Formatting
                mattnyc

Thank you.