2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2010 1:57 PM by julieFrith

Formatting Different Types of Merged Fields on one Layout.

julieFrith

Title

Formatting Different Types of Merged Fields on one Layout.

Hello.

This is a real problem which is doing my head in so any help would be appreciated.

I have a letter layout which is a body of text which then includes merged fields. Some are txt merged fields like address' and others are number merged fields like currency figures.

I can only seem to 'Data Format' the entire body of Text rather than individual merged fields. This is a real pain as i need to find a way of displaying full currency information .e.g £15.50 (currently showing as 15.5) but if i format the body copy to Currency then the TxT fields go stray. 

So my question is: Can a layout have multiple merged fields formatted differently??

Thanks for any replies in advance

Jules

• 1. Re: Formatting Different Types of Merged Fields on one Layout.
          philmodjunk

So my question is: Can a layout have multiple merged fields formatted differently??

You can't as FileMaker sees the block of layout text as a single object. How do your text fields "go astray"? Can't quite see how specifying a number format for your currency fields will have a negative affect on your text fields unless one or more of them are of type number instead of text.

The workaround is to do your formatting before including the data in the Merge text. Calculation fields can be defined that round numbers to specific numbers of decimal places and include dollar signs and the needed trailing zeroes after the decimal point. You can then include this calculation field as the merge field in your text.

• 2. Re: Formatting Different Types of Merged Fields on one Layout.
            julieFrith

Hi Phil.

Thanks for the reply, I've sussed it. A mixture of being too close to the problem, leaving the room and having a cup of tea for 30 mins. Then taking a deep breath rounding all my number fields and sorting out the trailing zeros. My text fields going astray were to do with me not putting data in them to display in the first place..! doh..Embarassed