4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 1:16 PM by JohnDoty

Formatting International Address(s).

JohnDoty

Title

Formatting International Address(s).

Hi all,

I'm working on an application that will contain people from multiple countries.  I would like help on how to create one formatted address to work with all countries.

Thanks in advance,

John

• 1. Re: Formatting International Address(s).
          philmodjunk

Not all of us are familiar with international address formats. Can you post some examples of what they might look like?

• 2. Re: Formatting International Address(s).
            JohnDoty

Hi PhilModJunk,

Here are some examples:

United States

Street

City, State, Zip

Europe

Street

Zip, City

Country

or

Street

City, Zip

Country

The solution I came up with is to have a multi-line text field, then the person could format the address any way they want.  The problem I see with that is trying to put a filter on let's say on city, since city can appear anywhere on the second line.

Thanks once again,

John

• 3. Re: Formatting International Address(s).
              philmodjunk

No I wouldn't use a multi-line text field. The street, city, state, zip and country fields should all be data in separate fields. They can be combined via calculation or in merge fields to produce any one of these formats and there are many ways you could do that.

Here's just one out of many possibilities:

Use a calculation field set to return text with a case statement to select the correct/desired address format:

Case ( Country = "USA" ; List ( Street ; City & ", " & State & "  " & Zip ) ;
                        EuroFormat = "zip" ; List ( Street ; Zip & ", " & City ; Country ) ;
                        List ( Street ; City & ", " & zip ; Country )
                      )

EuroFormat would be a field formatted with a valuelist where the user can specify zip before city. It they do not select an option, it defaults to city before zip.

• 4. Re: Formatting International Address(s).
                JohnDoty

Thank you so much,

This will get me started, I might need some more help in the future.

John