7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 4:12 PM by JoseCalderon

Formatting issue with save as Pdf and a form

PeterEide

Title

Formatting issue with save as Pdf and a form

Hi I seem to have formatting problmes with a PDF.  

I have created a form( Browse Mode) which I can save as a PDF however, the pdf does not match what I see on my screen.  Instead the side (right hand edge) is cut off like the margin is to short.

Basically pdf has created is what I see in the preview mode but I want a pdf of what I seen when using the form (browse mode, form).  Is this possible?  If not, is possble to modify the marignin to be simialr to the size of Ipad screen?  I have set up the form to be IPAD size but this is different to the printerd size.

• 1. Re: Formatting issue with save as Pdf and a form
          Jason Wood

You can adjust the page margins in layout mode. Layout setup > Printing > Use fixed page marigns

But I don't know if you're going to be able to make the margins small enough to fit everything that you see on your screen...

You should have different layouts for viewing and printing. The iPad screen is a different size compared to a piece of paper, so how can you expect everything to fit the same way?

Printing can be done by scripting, so the user never needs to see the printing layouts on their screen.

You could also format the document for printing first, then use the Autosizing feature to stretch out some fields for on screen viewing.

• 2. Re: Formatting issue with save as Pdf and a form
            PeterEide

I have tried ajusting the page layout but that doesnt solve my problem.  I have a form which I get patiens to complete on my IPAD.  I would like to save this form as PDF end export to evernote.

The problem seems to be the the PDF cuts off the right hand side.  I have seen that others have this issue but I am not sure how to solve it.  I have tried to select the option "fit page" and "fit width" but I am not sure this works when creating a PDF using a script since when I check it the right hand side is still missing.

Is is possible to fit to page or something like this when creating a PDF?

• 3. Re: Formatting issue with save as Pdf and a form
              Jason Wood

Like I said, use separate layouts for printing.

Give the printing layout fixed margins of 1 inch (or whatever you like), then make the layout 6.5" x 9" (such that the total is 8.5" x 11" - the size of a piece of paper). Copy your layout objects to the new printing layout and resize/reorganize them to fit.

Use a button on the data entry layout to print. The script goes to the printing layout, prints, then returns to the display layout.

• 4. Re: Formatting issue with save as Pdf and a form
                philmodjunk

If this is FileMaker 12. You may have encountered a bug with that version of FileMaker.

For More Information see:     Fixed Page Margin Problem

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

• 5. Re: Formatting issue with save as Pdf and a form
                  PeterEide

Hi, I have checked the bug list and I am not sure it is the same problem.  My problem is that the layout size (ipad) does not correspond to what is in the printed view. 

I will create a second layout as suggested if that is the only solution.  I suppose I was hoping that there was an alternative way to fix the problem.

I do not actually want to print the page but it seems to be the only way to create a PDF of the 'form'.  If I could make a PDF of  my form without printing and having to make a new layout that would be great.  I require a PDF of the form as I am keeping a copy of the completed 'form' in evernote.  I do not intend to print this I just need to see what was in the form.  What would have been great is if I could copy the form and make it into a PDF. 

• 6. Re: Formatting issue with save as Pdf and a form
                    philmodjunk

In FileMaker, creating a PDF IS a form of printing. Thus, it is very likely that you will need a parallel layout for saving it as a PDF.

• 7. Re: Formatting issue with save as Pdf and a form
                      JoseCalderon

This is a very common problem. Are you trying to reproduce a PDF exactly as you get on screen?  You are a long way for this to happen. This is because what is rendered in the Monitor uses a driver mechanism that is not tight synchronized with your printer driver. 

Are you trying to reproduce a hard copy form into the FM editor?  If this is a case, you are better scanning the form and placing in the background. And even this will not deliver clean cut results as you expect due to resolution issues.