6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2009 2:37 PM by mrvodka

Formatting Question Straddles FM Advanced (8.5 and 10)

MstrPBK

Title

Formatting Question Straddles FM Advanced (8.5 and 10)

A) While I am saving my pennies to to get FM 10 (beause of Snow Leopard) ...

B) Don't ask me HOW I solved this same problem over 9 years ago - i can't do i now.

A question has arisen about formatting of time units. I am in the mist of rewriting our Housing Co-ops Participation Database and have realized that basic feilds can be formated for HH:MM but not Summary Feilds ...  but well ... yes you can ... but FM 8.5 Advanced force feeds you the AM or PMl and the 12 or 24 hour limitation; and the seconds notation with the formatting.  These formating constructs are NOT what I need.  All I need is the summary total of the the monthly and annual totals without the seconcds being displayed; without a limit to number of hours; without a AM or PM notation.

Does FM 10 Advanced address this problem?

Can anyone help me deal with this problem?

OR am I doomed to have co-op members be agrivated with me for with the "messy" formating?

Peter Kelley

St. Paul, MN USA

• 1. Re: Formatting Question Straddles FM Advanced (8.5 and 10)
          mrvodka

IIRC, even with 8.5 you could format the field to not display seconds if you wish. Use 24 hour notation with hhmm formatting.

This way your summary field will end up with a value such as: 52:15 ( 52 hours and 15 minutes of activity )

• 2. Re: Formatting Question Straddles FM Advanced (8.5 and 10)
            MstrPBK

With all due respect ... I wouold like/love a time feild that might look like: 35:25 in a summary feild.

Within our co-op that value would be interpreted as: 35 hours and 25 minutes of participation for x length of time.

Though as I write this I think I see a minor glimpes what your saying - which is a partial solution.

Peter Kelley

St. paul, MN USA

• 3. Re: Formatting Question Straddles FM Advanced (8.5 and 10)
              mrvodka

Then I am not sure if I understand your problem correctly. A summary field with Time result can be formatted as I previously pointed out. What is the issue at hand? I am missing something.

Edit: Typo.

• 4. Re: Formatting Question Straddles FM Advanced (8.5 and 10)
                MstrPBK

Thank you.  You have answered the first half of the problem. [It can't be done]

That in turn prevents is a direct way of totaling hours worked or volunteered where the sum is greater than 24:00:00 (HH:MM:SS)

at least from what I am seeing for my needs.  While it is true anything greater than 24 hours is a "day"; for the community that this solution is being built for looks at this data from the view point of HOURS and MINUTES which is the criteria set in their policies.

What this may mean is that I have develop around the problem my starting with raw Minutes and develop a struture to procees from that

Would prefer this to be adirect compution betweem feilds rather than a scripted solution.

I hope that summeray feilds can be used in basic equations ...else I have a real problem.

Peter Kelley

St, Paul, MN USA

• 5. Re: Formatting Question Straddles FM Advanced (8.5 and 10)
                  comment_1

MstrPBK wrote:

Thank you.  You have answered the first half of the problem. [It can't be done]

I beleive it's a typo - because it CAN be done. Assuming the summary field summarizes a field of type Time, you can format the summary field same way as a time field.

In Layout mode, select the field, choose Format > Time… from the menu and select "hhmm" from the 'Format as' drop-down.There has been no change in this between 8.5 and 10.

• 6. Re: Formatting Question Straddles FM Advanced (8.5 and 10)
                    mrvodka
                       Indeed. As Comment pointed out, it was a typo. As I said in my first post, it can be done. Comment has given you more detailed  instructions.