1 Reply Latest reply on May 1, 2013 2:46 PM by philmodjunk

Forming New Layout from Three Existing Layouts

BillViola

Title

Forming New Layout from Three Existing Layouts

Hi everyone--

I'm relatively new to FileMaker, so pardon if this is a pretty basic question. Essentially I uploaded three spreadshsets to FileMaker. Each of the spreadsheets share a name field, though not all the names are found across each spreadsheet. I figured out how to establish a relationship between two of name fields (File > Manage > Database > Relationships), and I'm guessing establishing a third relationship would require just linking the additionally name field to the previously linked name fields.

Each of the spreadsheets contain similar, though not the same information. Spreadsheet 1 may have Name, City, State, while Spreadsheet 2 may have Name, Email, City, State, Zip (again, there are names found across all three spreadsheets). I was wondering if there was a way that I could generate a layout that would have the linked names from spreadsheets 1, 2, and 3, plus all the unique information associated with each name in each spreadsheet.

Hopefully this was clear. Thank you in advanced for any support.  

• 1. Re: Forming New Layout from Three Existing Layouts
          philmodjunk

It depends on the relationships.

If the relationships are one to one--any given record matches at most to just one record in the other two tables, then you can put the fields from all three tables on the same layout.

But relationships that match records by name are not ideal. Names are not unique, subject to spelling variations (one person might enter my name as Phil and another might enter it as Phillip...) and also vulnerable to data entry errors.

Thus, you'll need to be careful of records that do not match that should and some that match that should not.