0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 7:00 AM by PieroF

Found set lost in hidden files

PieroF

Title

Found set lost in hidden files

I ran into a problem with found sets that seems new to me: I’m now running FMP Advanced 13.0v4 on iMac late 2009 and Mac OS X 10.9.5. In fact I'm not sure it is a bug or a (weird) feature and I’m not sure it is new either.

The problem: I have 2 related tables A and B defined in 2 different files.

If at time t1 I open both files and at time t2 I close B’s window (e.g.), B remains hidden in the Window submenu. So far so good. However if I open B again sometimes later, whatever method I use, B’s found set seems to roll back to the original set at time t1 instead of the latest one at time t2. (Note: any table update at t2 is there ok - only the found set seems to be lost)

Example: at t1 the B found set contains 1 record out of 100; then I show the omitted records, and so the set includes 99 records; then at t2 I close B. If I open B again its found set is the one at t1 with a single record and not the 99 records: this happens whether I use A script steps to open B, or select B in the hidden files submenu, or open B from the Finder.

I found only one way to save the correct t2 found set: closing A as well forces all hidden files to close. Then whatever method I use to open B, I get the correct t2 found set.

Example: at t1 the B found set contains 1 record out of 100; then I show the omitted records, and so the set includes 99 records; then at t2 I close B and I close A.

NOW: if I open B again its found set contains the 99 records!

This happens whether I open A first and then B from a script, or directly B from the finder.

Comment: clearly, from this experience, found sets (and possibly other parameters) are saved on disk only at the final closing of all visible and hidden files, and this might be ok. But it seems also that any open operation on the hidden files actually loads found sets again from disk and does not use the cached ones for the hidden files. This happens also with the Open (file) script step, whether the “Open hidden file” option is set or not.

Questions:

-    is it a bug ? (I guess so...)

-    how can I make sure I get the correct found set at open time without first closing all files as in the example ?

Thanks a lot

Piero Fiorani