10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2010 1:02 PM by TheCanuck

Found Set Pie Chart Icon (The Green Ball)

TheCanuck

Title

Found Set Pie Chart Icon (The Green Ball)

Asking the experts...

Is there any way to disable the "found set pie chart icon" (the green ball) in FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced?

I'm filtering the records on a layout to only a specif set of users via a custom script on the LayoutEnter trigger.

The filter works correctly, however, you can toggle between the found and omitted records using the "found set pie chart icon" (the green ball).

...I want to limit the user to seeing/accessing ONLY those records that apply to them

Is there any way to disable or remove the "found set pie chart icon" (the green ball) from the menu bar???

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Found Set Pie Chart Icon (The Green Ball)
          philmodjunk

You can hide and lock the entire horizontal bar (originally called the status area). If you are using Filemaker Advanced, you can even set up a custom menu that replaces Show All Records and Show Omitted menu options with scripts that you design to limit which records are actually pulled up as a found set. I haven't tried this, but believe that replacing Show Omitted Only with a script will also affect what happens when the user clicks the pie chart.

The best approach to control access to records is to set up access limitations with different privilege sets in Manage | Security (Filemaker 11) or Manage | Accounts & Privileges (Fmp 10 and older).

WIth that approach, should a user get around your efforts to limit what records they pull up, the forbidden records are concealed behind a grey <<Access Denied>> screen.

• 2. Re: Found Set Pie Chart Icon (The Green Ball)
            TheCanuck

Many Thanks!

I'll give it a go.

Cheers!

• 3. Re: Found Set Pie Chart Icon (The Green Ball)
              TheCanuck

Phil,

It appears that the custom menu capability does not extend to the Show All Records and Show Omitted menu options.

Along with the record navigation contriols, the Show All Records and Show Omitted menu options (the pie chart or green ball) is not a configurable/removeable/replaceable/customizable control. 

At best, you can hide the status bar all together and add the necessary controls on your layouts.

The unique record security options required in this case, does not permit creating roles or profiles to restrict access to data.

In this situation, a manager hierarchy matrix is used to provide access to contract (record) information.  Only the person that created the contract or the managers in their hierarchy matrix will be able to view the contract (record).

For Example:

John created a contract.

... By default, John will be able to view the contract he created

... ... John’s manager (Bob) will also be able to view the contract John created

... ... ... Bob’s manager (Sharon) will also be able to view the contract John created

... ... ... ... Sharon’s manager (Henry) will also be able to view the contract John created

Anyone not in this hierarchy matrix should not be able to view the contract information.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks!

• 4. Re: Found Set Pie Chart Icon (The Green Ball)
                philmodjunk

I just checked, you can replace these menu options with your own scripts if you desire.

You start with or make a duplicate of custom menu set 1.

You select the Records Copy menu for editing

You can then select the Show all and show omitted commands and set them to perform a script of your design in place of the standard command.

You'd then select this new custom menu set for all layouts where you need this change.

If each of your users have unique account names, you can store a list of "approved accounts" in a text field and construct a calculation that determines whether a record can or cannot be viewed by the current user:

Your "ApprovedList" field would look like this for your example:

John's account name

Bob's account name

Sharon's account name

Henry's account name

I haven't tested it, but I think this can be made to work:

Not IsEmpty ( FilterValues ( Contracts::ApprovedList ; Get ( AccountName ) ) )

• 5. Re: Found Set Pie Chart Icon (The Green Ball)
                  TheCanuck

My apologies, I must be really thick...

The Custom Menu settings (File, Edit, Vire, Insert, Records, etc.) does not appear to affect the Status Toolbar.

The "Found Set" pie chart (Green Ball) is still visible and active even when I add a custom sctipt to the actions in the menu.

My new Custom menu script for "Show Omitted Only" now displays the pop-up message "Hello!" (as I intended), however, the "Found Set" pie chart (Green Ball) still displays/toggles between the found and omitted records and does not access the new script.

It appears tha the two areas/functions are totally independant from each other.

What am I doing whrong????

Thanks

• 6. Re: Found Set Pie Chart Icon (The Green Ball)
                    philmodjunk

Let's compare and see if we can spot what's different:

I created a one field, one table test file, created 9 records and omitted 5 to get a found set of 4 records.

I opened Manage | Custom Menus and selected custom menu set 1.

Clicked Edit

Select "Records Copy" and click edit

Selected Show all records

Selected the Action check box and specified the single step: Show Custom Dialog ["Show All"]

Selected Show Omitted Only

Selected teh Action check box and specified Show Custome Dialog ["Show Omitted"]

Clicked OK three times to dismiss the dialogs

Entered Layout mode and selected Layout Setup...

Changed the menu set from [Standard Filemaker Menus] to Custom Menu Set 1

I enter browse mode and click the pie chart.

I get: the Show Omitted dialog as I would expect.

• 7. Re: Found Set Pie Chart Icon (The Green Ball)
                      TheCanuck

OK... I opened Manage | Custom Menus and selected custom menu set 1.

OK... Clicked Edit

OK...Select "Records Copy" and click edit

NOT FOUND... Show all records

I had to select...

Select "Requests Copy" and click edit

Show all records

OK... Selected the Action check box and specified the single step: Show Custom Dialog ["Show All"]

OK... Selected Show Omitted Only

OK... Selected teh Action check box and specified Show Custome Dialog ["Show Omitted"]

OK... Clicked OK three times to dismiss the dialogs

OK... Entered Layout mode and selected Layout Setup...

OK... Changed the menu set from [Standard Filemaker Menus] to Custom Menu Set 1

OK... I enter browse mode and click the pie chart.

NO... I get: the Show Omitted dialog as I would expect.

...For me, clicking on the pie chart simply toggles between the found and omitted records.  It does not display the dialogue box as configured.

• 8. Re: Found Set Pie Chart Icon (The Green Ball)
                        TheCanuck

Can it be a version issue?

I have...

FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v1

• 9. Re: Found Set Pie Chart Icon (The Green Ball)
                          TheCanuck

I'm stubborn... so I did it again!

OK... I opened Manage | Custom Menus and selected custom menu set 1.

OK... Clicked Edit

NOT FOUND... Show all records

I had to add "Show All Records" to the "Records Copy" menu...

OK... Show all records

OK... Selected the Action check box and specified the single step: Show Custom Dialog ["Show All"]

OK... Selected Show Omitted Only

OK... Selected teh Action check box and specified Show Custome Dialog ["Show Omitted"]

OK... Clicked OK three times to dismiss the dialogs

OK... Entered Layout mode and selected Layout Setup...

OK... Changed the menu set from [Standard Filemaker Menus] to Custom Menu Set 1

OK... I enter browse mode and click the pie chart.

NO... I get: the Show Omitted dialog as I would expect.

Same... For me, clicking on the pie chart simply toggles between the found and omitted records. 

It does not display the dialogue box as configured.

• 10. Re: Found Set Pie Chart Icon (The Green Ball)
                            TheCanuck

Got it to work...

I had to select "Based on existing command:  Show Omitted Only"

Thanks, I appreciate all your assistance!