3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 1:34 PM by philmodjunk

FP 9.4 losing some photos? not others?

carljohansson

Title

FP 9.4 losing some photos? not others?

We are using FP9.4 to build a data base of tardigrades (microscopic animals).  As part of the data - we enter 2 or 3 photos.  we went with filemaker specifically because it saves the photos as part of the database -  correct?  The photos do not reside in another area - correct?

anyway this is a fairly large data base (for us at least) of 12 gigs.  we put in the photos -  but every time we transfer the info onto another hard drive or another computer -  some of the photos disappear -  others are still there.  My original thought was that some researchers were saving as a file -  others as a picture.  so we reenter over 500 photos, saving all as pictures - all show up -  then we put it onto a hard drive - reopen it -  and like magic they have dissapeared again.  The photos are there when we open the data base on the computer -  but back it up to an external  hard drive -  and there are photos missing in the hard drive data.

anyone have any ideas -  I can't keep going back and rentering hundereds of photos -  only to have the disappear again.

I am not a data base expert -  or even a computer guru -  I'm a biologist for heck sakes -  so I'm handicapped already!

any help/ ideas?

thanks in advance

Carl Johansson

• 1. Re: FP 9.4 losing some photos? not others?
          raybaudi

Hi Carl

create a new calculated field in the same table of your container ( I assume for this example that the name of your container field is "container" ) with this calc:

ValueCount ( container )

Now, while in Browse Mode, do a find on that new field inserting 3

How many records do you find ?

• 2. Re: FP 9.4 losing some photos? not others?
            comment_1

carljohansson wrote:

we went with filemaker specifically because it saves the photos as part of the database -  correct? 

It depends: if during inserting the image you check the option "Store only a reference to the file", then no. In such case, the container stores only the path to the image file - and when the path changes, the images won't be found.

This MIGHT be what you describe - it's hard to tell without a better description of what the field actually shows (a message, an icon ... ) and especially what a calculation = GetAsText ( YourContainerField ) would show.

• 3. Re: FP 9.4 losing some photos? not others?
              philmodjunk

To further clarify....

Raybaudi's suggestion is a test to see which container fields, if any, might be store by reference and thus not storing the actual image.

Comment is explaining the how and why of the same issue.