6 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2010 4:45 AM by J_ph

FP7  on windows/mac what to do?

J_ph

Title

FP7  on windows/mac what to do?

I need some sage advice. I'm using FP7 for invoices/estimates etc. I originally wrote this in FP1 or 2..... a long time ago.

So here's my dilemma, it still works,  I'm running it on  2 computers, a Mac 10.5.8 ( I'm still waiting for an update of Retrospect to move up to SL), and on an XP box. 

I see that FP11 upgrades no longer accept FP7 so I would need to pay for a full upgrade for both platforms. Here are my questions ( I hope I'm not asking too much for my first post )

1. Should I keep FP7 if it still works?  will I encounter OS problems with SL or a new Windows 7 box?

2. Should I look for an older version of FP that accepts FP7 as a upgrade path? ( which ones do and is there one of the newer versions that was better than the others, 8,9,10, I don't really need any new features )

3. Will the newer versions of FP import the database and structure ( very simple setup)

4. Are upgrades online registration or just use my old serial numbers ( will Filemaker still allow me to upgrade to an older such as 9 or 10 )

5. If I don't need to share the database ( I use both of the mac/pc computers) do I need 2 upgrades or will one upgrade work for 2-cross platform installs?

any other thoughts you might have would be very appreciated.

regards, j

• 1. Re: FP7  on windows/mac what to do?
          fitch

I can answer #3: No conversion is necessary, FM11 uses the same file format and extension (.fp7).

The rest of your questions might get answered here if you don't get a response on the forums.

• 2. Re: FP7  on windows/mac what to do?
            dumiya

See A: for answers

1. Should I keep FP7 if it still works?  will I encounter OS problems with SL or a new Windows 7 box?

A:You are not clear which actual version of Filemaker you are using.  .'fp7' relates to the type of file

2. Should I look for an older version of FP that accepts FP7 as a upgrade path? ( which ones do and is there one of the newer versions that was better than the others, 8,9,10, I don't really need any new features )

A: 11, 10, 9, 8 all use .fp7  so will open files made on each other the later the version the more it can do. (Filemaker 6 uses .fp5 so need to be converted)

3. Will the newer versions of FP import the database and structure ( very simple setup)

A: No need to import just open

4. Are upgrades online registration or just use my old serial numbers ( will Filemaker still allow me to upgrade to an older such as 9 or 10 )

A: Unless we know what actual version of Filemaker you are using it is impossible to answer this.

5. If I don't need to share the database ( I use both of the mac/pc computers) do I need 2 upgrades or will one upgrade work for 2-cross platform installs?

A: I believe the license allow you to install the program on two personal computers (e.g Home and Away) but not use the program at the same time.

I would avoid Filemaker 9 as it requires an internet 'activation' and this gets very messy if a computer dies on you as I believe you only get two activations.

The above is not definitive but only from my experience.  

Dumiya

• 3. Re: FP7  on windows/mac what to do?
              J_ph

Hi   Dumiya and Tom,

Thanks for the answers. Sorry I should have been more clear, I currently use Filemaker Pro 7 on Mac 10.5.8 and Win Xp. 

Filemaker 11 doesn't offer a discount on version 7 upgrades so I'm considering options. Will Filemaker 10 or 11 support 2 activations on cross platform (mac+pc), it seems that few companies allow for this?

thanks again,

j

• 4. Re: FP7  on windows/mac what to do?
                dumiya

Yes, as far as I am aware you are able to use FileMaker 11 on both platforms installing from the same disc.

As I read it the license allows this provided you only use one at once.  If you are on a network the program itself will prevent you opening the same program on another computer.  If you wish to use both computers on a network, one computer using the file as a remote file then you will have to to buy two copies (each copy has its own special serial number).  I find that Filemaker 11 does not use the internet activation system settling rather for a network control as noted above of only allowing one at once. 

But then you could use your Filemaker 7 on one computer and the Filemaker 11 on the other. 

You must check that your Mac and PC systems will run Filemaker 11 before you go ahead.

In many ways if your present version of Filemaker is working and working well I would not do an upgrade as there is no advantage to you,  Your Filemaker v7 is using the new .fp7.  There will be many things your version won't do. Most of those extra things you don't need unless you are going to do more work with your data or develop some new ways of doing things.

All this said I find Filemaker the most stable program on my computer - it is an excellent and reliable product - full marks to its developers.  

• 5. Re: FP7  on windows/mac what to do?
                  comment_1

You are likely to experience some issues with Filemaker 9 or earlier under Snow Leopard:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/kb/?answers/detail/a_id/7350

• 6. Re: FP7  on windows/mac what to do?
                    J_ph

>But then you could use your Filemaker 7 on one computer and the Filemaker 11 on the other. 

I couldn't find a reference to Filemaker 7, but info on 8,9 & 10 so I'm assuming that I will have issues. Although I wonder since the structure is not very complicated and it would require Rosetta that is may be able to survive. I'm actually amazed that v7 still works since every other app seems to perish as soon as the next OS appears. 

I also found out that the upgrade for v10 doesn't allow an upgrade from v7 so I guess that if I do upgrade I will need to move to v11.

thanks

J