5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2010 2:34 PM by davidhead

Frequency count Help needed

RafaelRodriguez

Title

Frequency count Help needed

Hello

I am a novice using FMP11 on xp and i have a database with students of a university inputted as individual records. The records have a field for what college and mjor there in. i want to get a count of how many students there are in each major within each college. any ideas?

• 1. Re: Frequency count Help needed
          davidhead

Hi Rafael

What you are describing is a sub-summary report. It would be sorted by college and then by major.

You will need a summary field to count the records in each sorted group. So that would be a field called Count of type Summary and set to count the ID field of your table (or some field that always has a value).

Then you need a layout with the following parts and fields:

Header: report title as text

Sub-summary when sorted by College: fields College and Count

Sub-summary when sorted by Major: fields Major and Count

Footer

Note that there is no Body in this report since we do not need to see the details of each record.

So to display the report, find the required records and sort by College and Major. Switch to the report layout and you will see counts for each college and each major within each college.

TS_Oz, FileMaker Inc.

• 2. Re: Frequency count Help needed
            RafaelRodriguez

How do i code the summary field to count a specific ID?

• 3. Re: Frequency count Help needed
              davidhead

To answer that question, you will need to provide more information about your data structure. What tables and what fields do you have set up? And what do you want to summarise specifically?

TS_Oz, FileMaker Inc.

• 4. Re: Frequency count Help needed
                RafaelRodriguez

Ok I have a database that i created from importing an excel file into a table called Qualit.

Each students has a record that contains their id, address, sat, gpa, College, major ect.. i want to search for records based on some limiting factor like gpa greater than 3.5 then i want to look at how many of them fall under a specific college like engineering or Fine arts. then i want to see how many within that college for each major like how many mechanical or civil or chemical. then i want it to display on the records as i view through them. Any ideas? let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you for the assistance

=)

• 5. Re: Frequency count Help needed
                  davidhead

So the first thing you would do is a find for GPA >3.5. That will find a certain set of records.

Then you want to sort that found set by College and Major (in that order).

Then switch to a layout with a structure like:

Header: report title as text

Sub-summary (leading) when sorted by College: fields College, Count*

Sub-summary (leading) when sorted by Major: fields Major, Count*

Body: fields student ID, address, name?

Footer

* a Summary field set to count the student ID field

With the records in sorted order, this will give you all the summary information you want.