6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 6:37 AM by stevebarker

From go to pro

stevebarker

Title

From go to pro

Hi,

if I add or change a record on my iPad (filemaker go) and then want to update to my pro db what is the best format?

I have tried .mer (but could not see how to import that) and .dbf but that just seems to overwrite records. Slowly working through each format but to save time I thought I would ask.

thank you very much

• 1. Re: From go to pro
          Sorbsbuster

Why do you not share the file so that edits on your iPad are 'live', and there only is one file?

• 2. Re: From go to pro
            stevebarker

Hi and thanks

I have no idea how to share.  I do not have a server of any kind only my ipad and my imac

thanks again

• 3. Re: From go to pro
              Sorbsbuster

You can run the file on your iMac, and if it is connected to the same network as the iPad, the iPad can simply access the same file, directly.

If your iMac is connected to the web you can access the file with your iPad from anywhere that it has a web connection.  Would that be what you would want?

• 4. Re: From go to pro
                stevebarker

yes, imac connected to the web. I just looked at adding the hostIPaddress/filename but it would not connect. What I would like to do is use my iPad anywhere and 'see' the same db

thank you again

• 5. Re: From go to pro
                  Sorbsbuster

Try doing that from inside your own network first.  That will prove that the sharing is set up correctly.  When you can share the file from there you can then look at 'port-forwarding' on your router.  This will let you see and share the file from anywhere.

You cannot access the file the way you are trying to now because the IP Address you are using is 'private' - it only exists inside a private network, not accessible to the public.  Your router is the thing that has a public address that the outside world can see.  That is the address you must try and log on to.  But the router needs to know which computer inside its private network to forward the FMGo traffic to.  Hence 'port forwarding'.

If you search for 'port-forwarding' in the forum you'll find plenty of links.

• 6. Re: From go to pro
                    stevebarker

thank you very much