5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2013 6:51 AM by philmodjunk

Frozen when loading

riggers

Title

Frozen when loading

Hi

In a nut shell I made some changes to a layout, went into browse to see what effect it had but the browse screen went blank and the Apple thinking icon came up and it doesn't want to move on. So I quit FMP. Used recover on the file still when loading the DB I get the same thing.

There must be something fundamentally wrong with the lay out, is there away of bypassing the layout to load the data base? I'm not so worried about the data that's in there but I'd like to keep the layouts I've created!

TVMIA

Simon

• 1. Re: Frozen when loading
          philmcgeehan

When you save a Recovery file, Click the Specify advanced options button, then select the Bypass startup script and layout Checkbox.

• 2. Re: Frozen when loading
            riggers

OK I have tried that but I have had to enter my UN and PW about 3 times - I'd enter the details it looked like it was doing something then asks me again - repeats then I get the recovered file and the same problem

I don't know if it's something to do with it but bottom left the the text is like doubled

• 3. Re: Frozen when loading
              philmodjunk

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
              3.           Recover does not detect all problems
              5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 4. Re: Frozen when loading
                riggers

Update

Thank goodness for for MAC time machine - I managed to find a version that worked although I had to re-write a load of layouts.

As a precaution I have written a script to back up the file - which I will try and run on a regular basis. It would be good if there was an auto back up in FMP (Like there is in Quark) 

I am sure in the old days like FMP4 the data was in a separate file to the layouts so it was easier to sort out problems like this 

• 5. Re: Frozen when loading
                  philmodjunk

Here's how I set up an automatic back up system for my file while developing it: Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

It can not only protect you in these situations, it can protect you from "Developer's Remorse"--that sinking feeling that the extensive design changes just made need to be discarded so you can revert back to your previous design but can't do so easily due to FileMaker automatically saving all your changes to your current development copy.