5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2013 8:32 AM by JessFeldman

frustrated with trying to put a Full Name (calculated) with Full Address

JessFeldman

Title

frustrated with trying to put a Full Name (calculated) with Full Address

Hi,

I am frustrated with trying to put a Full Name (calculated) with Full Address (calculated) that would come up automatically that I have in a "customer" table into an invoice.  Also What if my contact has a home address and then a secondary address.  How could the address come up automatically and then I could choose the one that would go with that contact?

Any help appreciated.

• 1. Re: frustrated with trying to put a Full Name (calculated) with Full Address
          SteveMartino

On the layout you will need 2 fields (if you don't already have them).  I assume you want these as merge fields.  There are a couple of ways:

First way (not as merge fields):

1.  Contact Name.  The 'Type' is calculation, and the result is text. Put this in as the calculation.  It assumes you have fields called 'First' & 'Last'

Case  (
                 IsEmpty ( First ) ; Last ; 
                 IsEmpty ( Last ) ; First ; 
                 Last & ", " & First
                  )

2.  Full Address.  Also a calculation, also text.  Usually you see the address on one line and city, state, zip on another.

Ship City & ", " & Ship State & "  " & Ship Zip.

Second way:

Put all these items in the layout as merge fields then it may look like this:

<<Last>>, <<First>>

<<Address>>

<<City>>, <<State>>  <<Zip>>

• 2. Re: frustrated with trying to put a Full Name (calculated) with Full Address
            JessFeldman

thank you for your response, it is quite clear.  can u use that a calculation field (first, last) in another table that is linked so that you can bring the address that corresponds to the Name (first, last) is automatically entered?  thanks again for your time

• 3. Re: frustrated with trying to put a Full Name (calculated) with Full Address
              philmodjunk

Such calculation fields can be defined in the customer table and then can supply that data to your invoice layout.

To display data from another table requires that you define a relationship that correctly links the current record on your layout (Invoices) to the correct data in the other table (Customers). Once you have a relationship that correctly matches records, you can choose to physically copy the data from the related table or just display the data from the fields defined in that related table. Which option is best depends on what you need to do with this data. Many businesses, for example, would copy such shipping or customer contact info into fields in the invoice table because they want to preserve the precise info they had at the time the sales transaction took place. If there is any question about that data, they want to avoid any possible confusion due to the customer's contact info being updated at a later date causing the invoice to show an address different from that current at the time that they shipped out the product to the customer.

Here's a link to a thread that descries both methods: Auto Fill

• 4. Re: frustrated with trying to put a Full Name (calculated) with Full Address
                SteveMartino

I don't quite understand your question, but if last and first name and address are all in the Contact Table, then all the info for that contact is already there.  In other words the calculation is based on a contacts first and last name.  This record, where first and last and address reside, should all be based on an ID primary key. 

If the primary key is linked to another table by a foreign key, you can put those fields in the second table.  When you click on the field, just make sure it is referencing the correct table.

hth

• 5. Re: frustrated with trying to put a Full Name (calculated) with Full Address
                  JessFeldman

Thank you guys for your answers and for taking the time to explain the process for linking tables I will try your solutions and see if I can make it work!

Appreciate your taking the time.