3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2010 10:20 AM by philmodjunk

functions and repeating fields

ambrosiasw

Title

functions and repeating fields

Before I get started I would like to stress that I don't have much experience with FileMaker, so please make sure to explain replies. Thanks!

I am working on a small project for our database. We recently upgraded our invoices database and not all of the information we would like to have was moved during the upgrade, specifically software version numbers for applications purchased by customers. I have already exported the bits I need from the old database, what I need to do is get them ready for import. What I need help with is finding some way to get the rightwords function to work nicely with repeating fields. For example: The version of the software the customer bought is in the product field (i.e. Snapz Pro X 2.0.2) I have created a new field called version and I just need that last bit, the version number, copied to the new field. The right words function works great for that, the only problem is the product field has 15 repetitions, and the rightwords function is only getting the first one. If a customer purchases more than one product, only the version for the first product they bought is copied. I have setup the version field to have 15 repetitions just like the product field. So, how can I get rightwords to copy all the repetitions that may exist, not just the first one?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: functions and repeating fields
          philmodjunk

I suggest you update your design to not use repeating fields in this fashion. A table of related records displayed in a portal is much easier to work with. You can open the Invoices starting point solution from filemaker 11 to get an example of this can be done.

That said, your calculation field will work if you set it up correctly.

Define Version as a calculation field: Rightwords ( productfield ; 1 ). In the lower left corner of the specify calculation window change repetitions from 1 to 15 to match the number of repetitions in the repeating field. Change the return type to text.

That should work for you.

• 2. Re: functions and repeating fields
            ambrosiasw

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. In the new database we have totally removed the repeating fields, all I am worried about is getting these bits of info out of the ones in the old database.

• 3. Re: functions and repeating fields
              philmodjunk

One useful option for extracting data from repeating fields is that you can specify that values in repeating fields be imported into separate records when you import data from an older version into a new version without the repeating fields.