5 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2016 11:35 PM by Ribby

Geneology

rgnant_1

Title

Geneology

Has anyone ever tried using Filemaker for keeping geneological data?  The data part is easy enough to do, but what about geneological charts?  Lineage and all that.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Geneology
          philmodjunk

The charts might be tricky to do. Given the popularity of Geneological Research, there may be an off the shelf solution that does what you need without having to reinvent it all in FileMaker.

• 2. Re: Geneology
            rgnant_1

Thanks for the reply.  I currently use FamilyTree, but as you know, if you didn't design it yourself, you are generally not satisfied with the restrictions, limitations, appearance, etc.  In FM I can design a layout that can be copied to something like InDesign to create a hard copy.  Tough to do with off the shelf.

• 3. Re: Geneology
              philmodjunk

I'm not going to say you can't do this in FileMaker, but given how complex a genealogy tree can be, I'm not at all sure that you can produce a satisfactory genealogy chart with it. You can certainly set up portals to list descendants and use container fields to link them with descent lines, but making it sufficiently flexible to handle all or even nearly all possible combinations? That sounds pretty tough to do.

• 4. Re: Geneology
                rgnant_1

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  Thought I'd give it a shot to see if anyone has done it.

• 5. Re: Geneology
                  Ribby

Hello

I am looking for something similar in the hobby of Budgerigar breeding management which also has genealogy did you find any solutions to your request that may be of interest to my solution? cheers Ribby