AnsweredAssumed Answered

General question about resource planning task on FM

Question asked by Stu412 on May 28, 2015
Latest reply on May 28, 2015 by philmodjunk

Title

General question about resource planning task on FM

I've used FM to put together a task management tool which sits on a calendar.  Tasks are assigned to staff and the number of hours the task is expected to take is entered, along with a deadline date.

Alongside this, each member of staff has a 'weekly hours resource', let's say 40 hours per week.  This means they can have 40 hours worth of task assigned to them in a week.

What I'm trying to do next may not even be a Filemaker question, but if anybody has done similar I'd love to hear from you.  

I want to be able to measure on a calendar month basis how successful a staff member has been at completing tasks to deadline.  

The big question I'm wondering at the moment is 'If a task takes 5 days, but the final 3 days are in a different month to the first 2, which month is best to record the success levels in?'  I also want to be able to see the percentage of overall staff resource available in a month, but again this begs the question, do we use the start date of a task, the end date or if the task spans two months, split it somehow???

As I say, perhaps not technically an FM question, but I'm wondering if anyone else has covered this?

Thanks

Outcomes