1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 7, 2013 1:45 AM by 5304419582

General Register

JohhnyHilly

Title

General Register

Is it possible to have a layout that acts as a general register? What I was wanting, was if any record was created, deleted or changed etc, I would like the action to appear on a list with the account name, time stamp, record changed etc so I can see what was done and by who.

Is this possible? Thanks.

• 1. Re: General Register

Yes, it is possible to store that data, but there is a caveat.  You will need to make sure that all these actions are using custom scripts to record the changes. If you want to have the user still use the FileMaker buttons and Menus (rather than ones you've created in the interface), you will need to install custom menus that run your scripts, rather than the generic FileMaker ones.   A neat way of recording changes at the record level is to make a 'log' field with an auto enter;

Case (

<Fieldname1> or
               <Fieldname2> or
               <Fieldname3> ;

"Field "& TextStyleAdd ( Get ( ActiveFieldName ) ; Bold ) & " was changed " & 

Get ( ActiveFieldContents ) & "on " & Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) & " by " & Get ( UserName ) & " / " & Get (AccountName) &¶&¶ ;

"Field "& TextStyleAdd ( Get ( ActiveFieldName ) ; Bold ) & " was changed " & 

Get ( ActiveFieldContents ) & "on " & Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) & " by " & Get ( UserName ) & " / " & Get (AccountName) &¶&¶ 
                    )

You will need to replace <FieldNamex> with a list of all the fields you want to monitor and be careful with long text fields,  so you may want to put a limit on the length of the log field generated.

Good luck,

James

--
               James Chiswell Jones
               System Architect
               igeek

W: www.igeek.co.uk
               Twitter: @igeekUK