6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 9:13 AM by mrvodka

Generate Excel or Word from withing FM

e34m5

Title

Generate Excel or Word from withing FM

Does FM support any kind of API integration so I can generate specific reports in Excel or Word. I don't mean just exporting the data. I mean total control of E or W.

I've searched but all I can find is that FM can export to Excel.

• 1. Re: Generate Excel or Word from withing FM
          TSGal

e34m5:

Thank you for your post.

You can share FileMaker data with other applications using ODBC (Open Database Connectivity) which is an API.  This means you can install the ODBC driver and have another application like Microsoft Excel access the FileMaker Pro database file.  For more information on ODBC, please see the product documentation "FileMaker 10 ODBC and JDBC guide", or you can find it online at:

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fm10_odbc_jdbc_guide_en.pdf

Please let me know if you need any further clarification.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Generate Excel or Word from withing FM
            e34m5

I wasn't clear enough. I don't need to read FM data from Excel. I need to control Excel from within FM. I need to manipulate the data and formats dynamically. That is why I asked for an API that I can access from within FM.

• 3. Re: Generate Excel or Word from withing FM
              TSGal

e34m5:

Thanks for the clarification.  Unfortunately, I don't know if Microsoft Excel has an ODBC driver.

Has anybody out there used an ODBC driver to access Microsoft Excel data?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Generate Excel or Word from withing FM
                mrvodka

There is no API that connects FileMaker to the Office applications directly. However, you can still create an XSLT and have it applied at the time that your FileMaker data is exported to create an Office file.

• 5. Re: Generate Excel or Word from withing FM
                  e34m5

I am stunned that FM has no way to properly interface with Windows. How can you create real business apps then. FM is then no a seriuos enough platform to do this with.

Unfortunately one of my clients was sold a bill of goods when it comes to FM's abilities. Now I need to convnce them to totally cross over to a real enterprise platform.

• 6. Re: Generate Excel or Word from withing FM
                    mrvodka
                       I'm not sure if its fair to ask FMI to create an API set that will interface directly with MS Office. Wouldn't that be a direct conflict to their competition on Microsoft's side?

The products that you mention earlier, VB, Delphi, MSAccess, arent great examples as Microsoft stuff always can talk with other Microsoft applications by nature.

As for FileMaker, since its a database and not a programming language, I dont know if I can fairly fault it although it would be a nice feature.