1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 14, 2011 12:38 PM by philmodjunk

Generate list using masks

ultranix

Title

Generate list using masks

hey, i found it hard to explain this situation. I want to program filemaker to generate list using masks.

to be more specific, I want to generate list of emails using common names in our country (and therefore, not to pay for Email ID's producing software). I have common first names, common last names and for the test i will use @gmail.com domain.

For example, some of the masks:

name.lastname@gmail.com

n.lastname@gmail.com

lastname_name@gmail.com etc.

Questions:

1) Do i need separate tables for first names and last names?

2) to my thinking, first record contains First name, so the program generates all masked emails into "Output" field, then loops to another record with different last name, generates all masked emails, loops to another records with yet another last name and so on. How do I set up such a script?

For example. Let's take 3 chicago bulls superstars: Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman.

so, First records contains first name michael and it generates masked emails of michael and all last names:

michael.jordan@gmail.com, m.jordan@gmail.com, jordan_michael@gmail.com,

then, it goes to another record with different last name and continues to perform script:

michael.pippen@gmail.com, m.pippen@gmail,com, pippen_michael@gmail.com,

there it goes again:

michael.rodman, m.rodman, rodman_michael.

So after running script on Michael, in the end it would copy all emails in one field, that would be 9 total, if we use such example.

• 1. Re: Generate list using masks
          philmodjunk

Define a calculation field, cNameList, that extracts the names from the email field with each name separated by a return character so that you get a list of values for each email:

Substitute ( Left ( emailfield ; Position ( emailfield ; "@" ; 1 ; 1 ) - 1 ) ; ["." ; ¶ ];["_" ; ¶ ] )

In a text field, gSearchNames, build a similar return separated list of all first and last names. In your example, you'd have this list:

michael
          jordan
          scottie
          pippen
          dennis
          rodman

Now this relationship will match every instance of a first or last name in gSearchName to every instance of a first or last name in cNameList:

Table::gSearchNames = Table2::cNameList

This can produce a list of records in a portal, or you can use the list function in a calculation field to generate a list of email addresses in a single field. This works because return separated lists of values in relationships function with an "OR" based value matching.