5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2013 8:24 AM by JimMac

generating logical record numbers, phone numbers, etc.

owen_1

Title

generating logical record numbers, phone numbers, etc.

Although I used Filemaker when it was a flat file report system, I'm many years removed from doing any programming.  I'm now retired and volunteer helping several small charities get their paper files organized.  Filemaker is very good, but  I'm effectively a neophyte again.  I went looking for features like phone number formatting, name parsing to allow building a logical case identfier and similar functions, (basic spreadsheet functions) but they apparently don't exist within the program itself.  

To come up with answers, I find it painful to have to work through all the forums, help files and all the online pdf "documentation".  Which leads me to my real question.  With so many aftermarket books to choose from, what's the best reference book for a new user with Filemaker 12?

• 1. Re: generating logical record numbers, phone numbers, etc.
          JimMac

Who was the Idiot who coined the phrase....?

NO PAIN, NO GAIN!!    no

Anyway...

There are many custom functions to parse phone numbers available free if you have FMP advanced.

I find this forum to have many ROBUST helpers who when I follow the post, I have learned much more than reading manuals.  It took me several month and some encouragement from a few of those ROBUST helpers.

I think it was my Mother who coined the phrase...

TRY IT!  YOU'LL LIKE IT!   yes

Jim...

• 2. Re: generating logical record numbers, phone numbers, etc.
            philmodjunk

which doesn't mean that a good book on FileMaker can't help you get up to speed. Forums are good for answers to specific questions. Books and other training materials help provide a more broad based training in how to work with FileMaker and Relational Databases/

But the book that is best for one person may not be "best" for another. Being "self taught" for the most part, I can't recommend one book over another anyway as I haven't read them all to evaluate them. You may want to go to a site such as Amazon and read any reader reviews provided to see which sound like the best "fit" for your skills, experience and what you need to accomplish with FileMaker.

• 3. Re: generating logical record numbers, phone numbers, etc.
              owen_1

Always sage advice, but at my age (pushing 70) I am primarily concerned with time.  I'm helping some friends convert their nonprofits from record keeping based on Excel and file cards.  Spending another couple hundred bucks of my personal budget for an advanced version didn't seem like good economics.  I chose Filemaker on the advice of former employees, friends in IT and published reviews.  My goal was to help get the organizations onto a solid platform with growth potential and fewer learning curve problems than Access.  My question was about a reference tool for people who aren't comfortable with boucing from help screen to  screen while trying to learn..  Different learning styles, I guess.                              

• 4. Re: generating logical record numbers, phone numbers, etc.
                philmodjunk

I am primarily concerned with time....Spending another couple hundred bucks of my personal budget for an advanced version didn't seem like good economics.

You may want to reconsider that. One of the main things that Advanced can do is save you time. The added tools can save you many hours of time when a part of the system does not function the way that you expected it as often a single use of the script debugger can quickly bring to light what needs to be changed to correct the issue.

And the Database Design Report, can also save you a lot of time when you are working with a database system and you need to figure out what references to a given script, field, value list, etc.... exist in the file so that you can determine what will happen if you change or even remove it.

• 5. Re: generating logical record numbers, phone numbers, etc.
                  JimMac

Owen, Note Phil's Ribbon symbol!surprise  He is one of the Robust Helpers I was referring. If you do a forum search on just his name you will find he does his own Manual Writing on  what I call Hard Concepts Made Simple by Phil....

You know the old saying about relearning how to ride a bicycle, AGAIN?

You must THINK out what you want to do....First on paper

INPUT >> Processing Data >> OUTPUT

I start at what the USER wants as an OUTPUT then work back...

When you have LAID out that...

Encoding it in FileMaker is the Leaning part...

Try a few Solution that sound like what you want and examine them...

People here will help you get over the Training Wheels and start riding again....

Jim...