3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 6:19 AM by philmcgeehan

Generating SKU number with filemaker.

Davidjun

Title

Generating SKU number with filemaker.

I am trying to implement filemaker with my small ecommerce business to manage inventory and product catalog.

We have been using Vlookup in excel to generate Sku where first and letter few letter represent the category color and size of the item. For example a small Red T shirt would be T1001RS (Tshirt item number 1001 Red Small). I want filemaker to create SKU when I input required fields. 

I can't figure out what the best way to do this. I am new to filemaker. I have been watching lessons on Lynda but can't quiet figure this one out.

I tried creating a tables for Category Size and Color and for each table two fields one for the actual value corresponding code for the SKU. I am drawing a blank after that. 

I appreciate any help I could get.

Thank you

Please help. 

• 1. Re: Generating SKU number with filemaker.
          philmcgeehan

Create a new Field with type Calculation.

The Calculation should be:

= Left ( table::Type ; 1 ) & table::ItemNumber & Left ( table::Colour ; 1 ) & table::size

You will need to change the text in Red to whatever you have called your Table and respective fields.

e.g.

Type                     Item Number                     Colour                     Size                     SKU
                              T Shirt                     1001                     Red                     S                     T1001RS
                              Jeans                     1002                     Blue                     M                     J1002BM

• 2. Re: Generating SKU number with filemaker.
            Davidjun

Thank you for the fast response. This might work well if I all the Types and colors started with different letters but many of types and color start with same letters. 

• 3. Re: Generating SKU number with filemaker.
              philmcgeehan

OK, I thought that that would be an issue.

I'd make a Types table with 2 fields: TypeID and Description; and a Colours table with the fields ColourID and Colour.

Enter all of your types with a unique TypeID. Do the same for Colours.
                   Try and keep the IDs consistent as these will show in the SKUs

Then make a couple of Value Lists: Colours and Types; using values from fields.
                   The first field should be the ID and the second the description.

Now instead of typing out the type or colour in your products you can select them from a drop down list or popup menu.

Then you can use a slightly different calculation:

= Types::TypeID & table::ItemNumber & Colours::ColourID & table::size

Types
                   TypeID        Descripton

TS                T Shirts
                   JN                Jeans
                   HD               Hoodys
                   SH                Shoes

Colours
                   ColourID      Colour

BK                 Black
                   BN                Brown
                   BL                 Blue
                   RD                Red