6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 2:55 PM by philmodjunk

Generating unwanted portal line

gjbdjc

Title

Generating unwanted portal line

This may be difficult for anyone to diagnose, but I have a layout with a portal.  When I enter the layout a record is generated in the portal and when I initiate the generation of a record as I normally would, it appears on the second line of the portal? Why is filemaker "auto generating" this record?

• 1. Re: Generating unwanted portal line
          SteveMartino

Maybe there is a layout trigger, or trigger attached to a field that is causing this.  "When I enter the layout....." seems to point to a script generating the record.  It's also possible that there is a commit records, or refresh window  step.  Also in the portal/relationship set up, maybe its sorted in descending order.

• 2. Re: Generating unwanted portal line
            philmodjunk

Or maybe you have "allow creation of records via this relationship" enabled in the relationship linking the layout's table occurrence to the portal's table occurrence. When such is specified, you get an extra blank row in the portal. This is not actually a record in the portal's table, but an interface feature where you can enter data to create a new related record that will be automatically linked to your layout's current record. If you remove this option, as is often desirable, this extra row will no longer appear in your portal. (And you can still add new records to the portal, but you now have to use a script to do so.)

• 3. Re: Generating unwanted portal line
              gjbdjc

My database was originally based on the "INVOICES" database from the Starter Solutions of Filemaker Pro13.  In the starter database, while in the Invoices layout, you can click on "New Request" and the script will take you to a new layout and an object within that layout allowing you to select a customer.  I have kept this process.  However, my database actually does create a record in the Invoices table upon clicking "New Record" whereas the INVOICES database waits until the customer and Product are selected?  What have I done to lose this part of the process? Thoughts?

• 4. Re: Generating unwanted portal line
                philmodjunk

To repeat: it sounds like you have "allow creation of records via this relationship" enabled in the relationship linking the layout's Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? to the portal's table occurrence.

• 5. Re: Generating unwanted portal line
                  gjbdjc

I do, as does the starter database (which doesn't have this problem).  More importantly if I remove "allow creation" the fields in my portal disappear?

• 6. Re: Generating unwanted portal line
                    philmodjunk

If the starter solution has this specified, then it also has a blank add row. And clearing this check box will not make any portal fields disappear, only that blank add row.

But keep in mind that a given table can have many table occurrences and thus there can be more than one relationship linking the same two tables. But only one of these defines the relationship used to implement the portal on your layout. It's the relationship link to that one table occurrence for the portal that has "allow creation..." enabled.

Open Portal setup and note the name selected in "show related records from". Open Layout setup and note the name selected in "Show records From". Then go to Manage | database and find the relationship line linking the layout's table occurrence to the portal's. Double click that relationship line and clear this check box for the portal's side of the relationship.