5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 9:45 AM by philmodjunk

Generic Field with dropdown menu choices

JeffCas

Title

Generic Field with dropdown menu choices

Hi, i'm hoping to make a button or field that when you click on it, it will give you 5-7 choices of text to set that field or button to display.

I need this function in multiple places on the layout and at this point, it doesn't need to do anything other than display text (chosen from a list)

Any thoughts?

Thanks !

• 1. Re: Generic Field with dropdown menu choices
          philmodjunk

You seem to be describing a field with a value list format such as a drop down list or pop up menu.

If that's not what you have in mind, please elaborate.

• 2. Re: Generic Field with dropdown menu choices
            JeffCas

Hi PhilModJunk,

Thanks for your response(and all of them!)

My thinking was 1 field for each instance would allow for each instance to have their own information.

However, I need around 100 instances on my layout and they all need to be able to have their own information in them(from the drop down list)

I am hoping to make 1 "field" with 5-7 drop down choices then copy/paste it numerous times so they can each have individual information in it.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Generic Field with dropdown menu choices
              philmodjunk

Sorry, but I can't quite follow your description. Not sure what you mean by an "instance" as I can read that several different ways.

" they all need to be able to have their own information in them"

could also be read differently.

You can certainly format a field to have a drop down list or pop up menu and you can then copy and paste it to other places on the layout, but they will all use the same value list and all enter data into the same exact field in your record. You'd have to re-specify the field and the value list to be used with it.

The "100 instances" suggest that you might have multiple fields defined where you really need multiple records. This, BTW, would allow you to format a field and place it on your layout once and then each of the individual records in a list view, table view or a portal will then use that same specified format--eliminating any need to copy and paste the same field repeatedly.

• 4. Re: Generic Field with dropdown menu choices
                JeffCas

on 1 record, I have 100 fields- Field001, Field002, Field003 .... Field100.

Each of these fields has useful and unique information that I want to use elsewhere.

Next to each of these fields, I want to create a "box" or "fake field" or "something" that when you click on it, you get 3 options-

"Yes", "No" or "Maybe"

This information is only being used on the record itself and is for visual purposes only to help describe the information in the field

here's what it could look like

purpleyes

white   no

purple would be in Field001, white in Field002- the yes or no would be next to it.

If it were just two of these "yes, no, maybe" I would simply create two fields.

I need upwards of 200 of them, hoping to make 1 then copy paste them

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Generic Field with dropdown menu choices
                  philmodjunk

Sorry but:

I have 100 fields- Field001, Field002, Field003 .... Field100.

Is exactly what I was thinking of when I said that it looked like you are using multiple fields where you need multiple records. Using a portal to a related table of 100 records, for example, would allow you to set up a single field with this value list and it could then be used with all 100 records.

This is also true with a list or table view of a found set of 100 records.

In any case, you would need to store this information for every field or every record used to store this informatioin so you still need that field reference every time even though the value list can be the same in every case if the choices are always yes/no/maybe.

It is possible to copy and paste a set of buttons that produce this result, but since you'd then have to put the field reference in place anyway as a script parameter--and do this once for each of the three buttons, this doesn't really save you any effort from just copy/pasting a button and selecting a different field to store the selected value each time, in fact it multiplies the work by three--not counting the script you'd need to write that uses Set Field By Name to modify the correct field with the selected data or the conditional formatting needed to show the currently selected value.