That Get ( ) function, like almost all of them, must be used into UNSTORED calculation fields.
Thanks, but I'm not storing the info. As a test I used the Set Field function, but the context I'm using is upon opening the database.
Upon opening the file, the script looks at what computer is being used, and then logs in the the "most usual" account using a simple if/then step with the test being Get ( UserName). For some reason on this one computer (host of the shared db btw), it returns something else other than the name of the computer. Looks like an old name.
However, I did just think of a setting I may have in the file, so I will look into it and post the answer.
Yes, I did find the answer - it's a Filemake preference.
Preference > General > I had created a "Other" name. So now I've made it the default System name and all is good.