8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2010 2:54 PM by Dr.D

Get a Copy of Database from the Server

Dr.D

Title

Get a Copy of Database from the Server

on Pro 10 Advance, I like to copy a layout to my own drive so that I can work on some modifications...  It appears the system server allows "upload database" from my own drive, but not the other way round... Please offer a solution... Thanks

• 1. Re: Get a Copy of Database from the Server
          philmodjunk

Copying a layout won't do you much good without also having the underlying tables, relationships and value lists.

Your best bet is to user server admin to close the file, then move a copy of the file onto your computer, email it or copy it to removable media such as a flash drive. Then re-open the database.

Once you have matching file copies, you can open the hosted file with a full access password and copy and paste all or some of your layout's objects from one file to the other.

Open your updated file

Switch to layout mode.

Select the layout objects you want to copy

Copy them to the clipboard

Open the other database, find the layout you want to update.

Delete any layout objects that need to be deleted.

Paste your new layout objects

Adjust their position to match the original layout. (Object info with pixel units can be helpful here.)

• 2. Re: Get a Copy of Database from the Server
            Dr.D

Thanks for the response, may be I am not being clear of my question...

The database I have on the Server is a current version, so I need a copy of it to work on further modification... And that database contains a layout + 2 reports, I need the exact database to be copied on my own drive... Thanks

• 3. Re: Get a Copy of Database from the Server
              philmodjunk

Yes, I did understand you. That's why I suggested:

Your best bet is to user server admin to close the file, then move a copy of the file onto your computer, email it or copy it to removable media such as a flash drive. Then re-open the database.

To expand on that:

Bring up server admin and find the file you need a copy of on your server. Use server admin to close the file. Now leave server admin and you the server's operating system to move a copy of the file to whereever you need to to work on it. Return to server admin and re-open the file.

Now you have a copy you can work with.

• 4. Re: Get a Copy of Database from the Server
                Dr.D
                   Ok, please further from the "after close the database" steps ,  I have closed it on the server, I am unsure about the part of saving it onto a spot on my own drive... Thanks once again
                • 5. Re: Get a Copy of Database from the Server
                  philmodjunk

Once you've closed the file, you will move a copy just like you would any other file such as moving a word processor file to a different computer.

I don't know how your network and computer is configured. Do you have a shared drive/folder that both the server and your computer can see? Copy it to there on the server and then go to your computer and copy it from there to your computer.

If not, plug in a flash drive, copy to it and then take the flash drive to your computer

Or you could burn it to a CD or DVD if you have a drive for it...

• 6. Re: Get a Copy of Database from the Server
                    Dr.D

I got a feeling that I am just disconnected with an obvious thing, I know how to move / copy file, but not getting this one... Will give it another try... Thanks

• 7. Re: Get a Copy of Database from the Server
                      philmodjunk
                         Let's say you used Micrsoft Word to create a file on one computer. How would you move a copy of that file to another computer? Whatever steps you would take to move that file will be the same as what you need to move a copy of the database file to another computer.
                      • 8. Re: Get a Copy of Database from the Server
                        Dr.D
                           I just located the FileMaker Pro folder on my hard drive and note the copy of Database is in there, I think it is where I can do my creation of another copy... Thanks for your patience