14 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2014 8:32 AM by philmodjunk

Get field from non related table

lijnbach

Title

Get field from non related table

Hello everybody,

I am using a table with global fields. In this case the global fields contain all the information of the organization like name of the organization, phone, mail address etc. So the application manager can update this himself if necessary.

Now I want to use this information also, e.g. the name of the organization, in the header of a report. Is there a way to get access to these global fields, without the table being related? Or do I have to relate the table with global fields to all my tables?

Thanks in advance,

Hans Lijnbach.

• 1. Re: Get field from non related table
          Markus Schneider

Although You can gather the data using execute sql, You still need a TO - but no need for a relationship. If You define a relationship, You can get the info using non-sql methods

• 2. Re: Get field from non related table
            lijnbach

O.K. Thanks,

I have to figure out what the most convenient way is. If I create relationships, I also have to create fields for that relationship. 

Thanks for your effort.

Hans Lijnbach.

• 3. Re: Get field from non related table
              SteveMartino

If it's a global field, why cant you just put it on the layout, or put fields on the report layout that lookup the global fields.

• 4. Re: Get field from non related table
                FentonJones

You do not need a relationship to see or access data in global fields (that ability was added to FM years ago). You do however need at least 1 Table Occurrence of the table with the global fields on the Relationship Graph of the file which wants to see them. Try it.

I would think that globals are not such a great way to enter real data however. If the file is running on a FM Server, then you will have to turn off the server, and open the file as "local", to save any changes to a global field. Otherwise any changes are lost when you close the file, and it returns to the data last in the globals when the file was local only.

I would use a "single record" table, and store that kind of data in regular fields, which can be changed when running via the server. You will however need a real relationship from each table which wants to see that regular data. But this can be as simple as a "1 = 1" relationship ( fields: calculation, number result; 1 ).

You can use this 1 record table for some global fields also. The main "problem" with using such a "1 record" table, with some regular fields in it, is to stop people from deleting that 1 record, or creating a 2nd record. That is best done by creating the 1 record, then turning off the ability to either create nor delete (no Full Access for users; and don't delete it yourself!).
                • 5. Re: Get field from non related table
                  lijnbach

Thank you very much for your reply and effort,

I use global fields in a single record table a lot. It works fine. But now I need (e.g.) the name of the organization in reports. And, I think, the only way to get access to the global field is a relation with the table. (I now created several 1 to 1 relations with a calculated field to get access to the global fields table). Works just fine.

And indeed, users can not add or delete records in the lay out with these global fields.

I was just asking myself if there is another way to get access to the global fields, without relation. (The name of the organization is printed in all situations, so that are a lot of extra relations.

Thanks for your time and effort,

Hans Lijnbach

• 6. Re: Get field from non related table
                    FentonJones

Global fields can to seen without a "relationship", also as there is any instance of the table with the globals on the Relationship Graph. Try it on one that is not connected. 

• 7. Re: Get field from non related table
                      lijnbach

Sorry for my late response, but that is because of the time difference. (Netherlands).

Yes, I know I can see the global fields table, but if I use a field of the global table that is not related on a report, I get the message "not related".

So, I can see all the fields of the global table, get them on the report lay out, but on the print preview I get the message "not related".

Hans Lijnbach

• 8. Re: Get field from non related table
                        philmodjunk

but if I use a field of the global table that is not related on a report, I get the message "not related".

Then the field has not been defined in manage | Database | Fields to be global.

If a field with global storage specified for it in field option is placed on a layout, it will not generate that error message and the data it stores will be accessible no matter what layout you choose to put it on.

• 9. Re: Get field from non related table
                          lijnbach

Hai Phil,

You are right. It is a single record table with global fields. But... I used a calculated field to combine two names into one name. And the calculated field is not seen as a global field. That is where it went wrong. (And I did not pay enough attention to this).

I can also inform you that the security problem on the MAC is still not solved. If I hide the "Window menu", every user can get access to the Window menu by right clicking the mouse. So every user has access to lay outs and the database. On a windows machine it works fine, but not on a Mac. I hope they will solve that shortly. (Using FMP Advanced 13.0v3)

Thanks Phil,

Hans Lijnbach.

• 10. Re: Get field from non related table
                            philmodjunk

I can also inform you that the security problem on the MAC is still not solved.

I am just a fellow user of this product and am not a mac user. Such an issue should be reported in detail in Report an Issue in order to bring this to the attention of a TS person that works for FileMaker and thus can do something about this issue.

• 11. Re: Get field from non related table
                              lijnbach

I know that Phil,

But I saw your name in a discussion regarding this issue. It was a discussion from June 2013. The issue is reported and known, but not solved. And it is a serious security problem, because users on a Mac can get access to all database issues. On windows it works just fine. (I am using Mac as well as Windows).

Thanks Phil,

Hans Lijnbach.

• 12. Re: Get field from non related table
                                philmodjunk

But I saw your name in a discussion regarding this issue. It was a discussion from June 2013.

Since I have posted more than 60,000 comments here, a discussion from last June is not likely to be one that I recall. wink

A quick search of the Known Bugs List specifying "mac" and "window" pulls up more than 40 open issues, but I don't see one that matches what you describe.

• 13. Re: Get field from non related table
                                  lijnbach

Hai Phil, I understand yo don't know all the issues anymore, but this was the original post:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/c310b5b41e?commentId=289076#289076

In a mean time I have a reaction from FileMaker:

Hans Lijnbach:

Thank you for your post.

I have attached your comments to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

Hans Lijnbach

• 14. Re: Get field from non related table
                                    philmodjunk

Thanks, posting the link is what I needed in order to find this particular report. I've updated the database to include FileMaker 13 in the list of versions where this bug occurs.