6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 4:55 AM by hrcap

Get(activefieldname)

hrcap

Title

Get(activefieldname)

Morning Guys

I am trying to make one of my scripts more generic but i cannot figure out how to get the get(activetablename) and Get(activefieldname) to work.

Here is what i have so far:

@Numbers = TextFormatRemove (Filter (Get ( ActiveFieldTableName )Get ( ActiveFieldName )); "0123456789"); 

Any input would be appreciated

Cheers

Hadleigh

• 1. Re: Get(activefieldname)
          symbister

hmmm what exactly are you trying to do? (using the character @ in a field name is fraught with danger - don't)

• 2. Re: Get(activefieldname)
            IT_User

Yes, what exactly are you trying to achieve?  The end result of getting the table and field name.

This might help you, though: GetFieldName Function

• 3. Re: Get(activefieldname)
              philmodjunk

Just a guess here:

TextFormatRemove (Filter (GetField ( Get ( ActiveFieldTableName ) & "::" & Get ( ActiveFieldName ) ) ); "0123456789")

• 4. Re: Get(activefieldname)
                hrcap

Hi guys, thanks for the replies,

Phil i havent been in the office today so havent had a chance to try your suggestion.

The script is to validate a phone number, and the script step that i am stuck on is the first if statement. The whole of the first if statement is:

Let(

@Numbers = TextFormatRemove (Filter(Get ( ActiveFieldName ); "0123456789")); 

Length(@Numbers)  ≠  11

)

Basically instead of having to adapt the script everytime i use it for a different phone number field i want it to be generic, i.e.

instead of specifying Employees::work_phone within the script i want to use the get(active table name) and the get (active field name) to calculate the field name and come out with the result of Employees::work_phone.

Hope this makes sense frown
                • 5. Re: Get(activefieldname)
                  philmodjunk

Personally, in most cases, I wouldn't have more than one phone number field that I'd place in a  related table of phone numbers, but what I suggested earlier should work for what you want to do here.

• 6. Re: Get(activefieldname)
                    hrcap

Hi Phil

I just tried out your solution and it works perfectly, thank you very much.

The reason i wanted a 'generic' phone number validation script is because i will have two tables, one to log employee details and one to log company details. The solution will then be issued to my clients and should i need to make a change to the script in the future i wanted to ensure that i then didnt have to make changes hundreds of field references.

Cheers