5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 11:34 AM by philmodjunk

Get(ActiveLayoutObjectName) with Grouped Objects

DaniRoloson

Title

Get(ActiveLayoutObjectName) with Grouped Objects

I'm trying to mimic an external form that uses boxes with X's so a drop-down menu or radio buttons aren't options.

For example, the Title group has boxes with one X for Mr., Mrs., or Ms.

I use Get( ActiveFieldName ) to figure out which of the 3 is clicked and Get( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) works for the individual fields but not if I group them and name the group.

Any suggestions?

Dani

• 1. Re: Get(ActiveLayoutObjectName) with Grouped Objects
          philmodjunk

I'm trying to mimic an external form that uses boxes with X's so a drop-down menu or radio buttons aren't options.

But what keeps you from using Check Boxes--also an available format for this?

What are you trying to do with the object name returned by this function call? How does knowing the group's object name help you?

• 2. Re: Get(ActiveLayoutObjectName) with Grouped Objects
            DaniRoloson

> Checkbox set displays value list items as checkboxes. Users can select multiple values for a field

If they click Mr., I want Mrs. and Ms. to be cleared. I'll see if I can get that to work.

• 3. Re: Get(ActiveLayoutObjectName) with Grouped Objects
              philmodjunk

If they click Mr., I want Mrs. and Ms. to be cleared. I'll see if I can get that to work.

Which suggests that you should NOT be using a check box format. A check box format implies to the user that multiple value selections are permitted. A radio button format implies that only a single value can be selected.

But the following auto-enter calculation can be used to remove preceding selections when a different selection is made with either radio buttons or checkboxes:

GetValue ( self ; ValueCount ( self ) )

Be sure to clear the "do not replace existing value..." check box.

• 4. Re: Get(ActiveLayoutObjectName) with Grouped Objects
                DaniRoloson

As I said: I'm trying to mimic an external form that uses boxes with X's so a drop-down menu or radio buttons aren't options.

And if you hold down the shift key, you can select multiple radio buttons anyhow. Silly old FM.

>GetValue ( self ; ValueCount ( self ) )

>Be sure to clear the "do not replace existing value..." check box.

That's the magic I was looking for. Now I just have to figure why it works. :-)

• 5. Re: Get(ActiveLayoutObjectName) with Grouped Objects
                  philmodjunk

As I said: I'm trying to mimic an external form...

Understood, but it still presents the user with an interface that implies a capability that you are not permitting and this can lead to confusion.

And the fact that you can shift click a radio button is why I suggested  the auto-enter calculation for both check boxes AND radio button formats.