3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 11:01 AM by philmodjunk

GetLayoutObjectAttribute

brianpatterson

Title

GetLayoutObjectAttribute

I am using FileMaker Pro 11 on Mac OS 10.10.1

I need to put a button on a layout to save three user entered values from the layout to global field in a globals table before these values are used as search criteria.  The values will be used to pre-populate fields in another layout.  The script first clears all fields in the globals table. However, I can't find the GetLayoutObjectAttribute function in the script steps or calculations functions.

What have I missed?

Do I need to upgrade to version 14 Advanced now?  I was hoping to delay this, since my client has version 11 and won't upgrade. During development it is helpful to me to have a development version in the client's office for testing.

• 1. Re: GetLayoutObjectAttribute
          philmodjunk

I see no use for GetLayoutObjectAttribute in what you want to do.

I am using FileMaker Pro 11 on Mac OS 10.10.1

I need to put a button on a layout to save three user entered values from the layout to global field in a globals table

In some cases, you may be able to just have the user enter the data into the global fields in the first place and then there is no need to copy the values to another field in order to use them as search criteria.

See this thread for a series of scripted find examples, many of which use global fields: Scripted Find Examples

• 2. Re: GetLayoutObjectAttribute
            brianpatterson

Thanks, I'm starting to see how filemaker works. I'm used to a different programming environment.

My search involves four steps and three layouts.  Step 1: search CONTACTS for a name. Step 2: Search CLIENTS using the CLIENTS foreign key in the CONTACT table. Step 3: Create a found set of all contact names and phone numbers for all the contacts related to this client. Step 4: Open a layout based on the clients choice of contact. The layout uses a tabbed dialog for editing both the CLIENT  and CONTACT.

Can I suppress display of the CONTACT and CLIENT layouts during the search?

• 3. Re: GetLayoutObjectAttribute
              philmodjunk

You'll need to describe this in more detail.

Take a look at the sample scripts in the thread that I recommended. Notice that a user can specify criteria in global fields that are then used to set up and perform finds. With such an approach, the user shouldn't even see the interim layout changes that take place while the script executes.