3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2015 9:14 AM by philmodjunk

GetNextSerialValue not working

carlo.m

Title

GetNextSerialValue not working

I have no clue what is going on...

Very simple function, why does it not return any result???

id is the key to the table that I'm on, I also tried rerencing with full format "tablname::fieldname" and no luck either...

GetNextSerialValue ( get(filename); "id" )

I thought this was very wierd.. so I created a new database, just one table just one field: id auto enter serial value... And the same calculation works fin???

Don't know if it could have anthing to do with it, but the file I'm having troubles on was created on Mac OS 10.5.8 and I just updated to 10.7.3

• 1. Re: GetNextSerialValue not working
          AntonioRivera

This is the exact same problem I'm having right now. My code used to work and after upgrading to version 14, GetNextSerialValue is returning NULL. I've not forgotten the quotes on the field and like the previous posted above, I created a test database and the exact same code works there but not in the solution I'm working on. Please help.

• 2. Re: GetNextSerialValue not working
            TSGal

Antonio Rivera:

Thank you for your post.

If this is working in a new file, then delete the script step with the GetNextSerialValue calculation and recreate it.  Make sure to include the file name and the full fieldName that includes the table name.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: GetNextSerialValue not working
              philmodjunk

Note the date of the original post in this thread. In this part of the forum, any thread where the initial post is more than three months old no longer re-appears in Recent Items when a new message is posted to it. Thus, most forum participants are much less likely to see it. (I saw it by accident myself.)

Thus, you are much better off starting a new thread than using Post A New Answer to add a message to this one. If you want readers to see text from the original thread you can use the "hyperlink" control on the far left end of the tool bar in Post A New Answer to add a link to the original thread.