AnsweredAssumed Answered

GetSummary for Portal Records

Question asked by AjEGfmTech on Oct 22, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 24, 2014 by AjEGfmTech

Title

GetSummary for Portal Records

I am looking to find a way to get the Summary Total and Summary Count of related portal records.

I have a simple database setup.
Visits ---> Items

Each 'Item' record has a 'Result' field that receives one of three scores: 0, 1 or 2.

I want to show the current percentage score for the visit while the Item scores are being filled out in the portal.

I could do this fairly easily by creating two summary fields, one for total and one for count, and then creating a calculation field that uses them to determine the percent score. I have this working now (though the summary fields and calculation field take two clicks outside of the portal before they update?). The only thing is that I don't want the '0' scores to count towards the overall percentage.

For example.
- Item record A, result = 1
- Item record B, result = 0
- Item record C, result = 2

The total score for the visit equals 3, the total possible result score should equal 4, so 75%, not 6, which would be 50%. The '0' score should be thrown out because it represents an Item that was ignored.

The only way I can think of doing something like this would be to make use of a calculation field instead of a summary field. With the calc field I can potentially build a filter to evaluate if a Item record score is greater than zero before it gets included in the summary. However, when I try to create a GetSummary calculation field to get the summary of the portal scores, the field is empty. I have the GetSummary calculation use the same break field as what the portal is sorted by, but that hasn't fixed the issue.

It makes me wonder, can a GetSummary calculation field on the main layout show the summary of a field in portal records?

Outcomes