2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2012 6:46 AM by dhbailey

Getting a field to appear or print in a list only when the value changes

dhbailey

Title

Getting a field to appear or print in a list only when the value changes

I have moved over to FileMakerPro (version 11 and considering version 12) from Alpha5 and am having a problem getting printed reports to work as I would like.

With Alpha5 I could design a report and have a field print only when the value changed -- I conduct a large band and am using the database for (among other things) keeping the band's roster.  So I have the roster print by instrument, and it seems silly to have 8 lines which all begin with 'Flute' -- in Alpha5 I could get the "Instrument" field to print only when it changed, so that the first flute player would have Flute appear beside the name and then the next 7 wouldn't have anything print in that field and then the first Oboe player would have the word Oboe appear beside the name and the next couple would have that field blank. And so on down the roster -- it makes it look so much nicer.

I have searched and can't find any way to do this with FilemakerPro -- can anybody help me please?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Getting a field to appear or print in a list only when the value changes
          philmodjunk

Sounds like what we'd use a Summary report for...

I'm assuming each "chair" in your band is a separate record. If not, it should be.

Let's assume you have these fields:

Instrument, chair, name

Set up a list view layout based on this table.

Add a sub summary part to this layout "when sorted by Instrument".

Put the Instrument field in the sub summary part.

Put the name field and any other fields you want from this table in the body.

Sort your records by Instrument (can be an arbitrary order controlled by a custom value list), then by "chair" and you should get a list like this:

Flute
             1st chair flute name
             2nd chair flute name
             etc.

Clarinet
              1st chair clarinet
               etc.

If you want a strict table format:

Flute    1st chair
                       2nd chair
                       etc.
          Clarinet  1st chair
                         etc.

That can also be done with a conditional format expression and no sub summary part that uses getNthRecord to compare the value of Instrument with the previous record's instrument field and hides the contents of the field by changing the size to 500 if the values are equal.

• 2. Re: Getting a field to appear or print in a list only when the value changes
            dhbailey

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I have been trying to figure this out for a long time.  Your solution worked like a charm!