7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 10:50 AM by philmodjunk

Getting a new record when adding through a portal is not what I want to do

markgordie

Title

Getting a new record when adding through a portal is not what I want to do

I have a portal within a layout and all is working fine.

However, if I create a new record and wish to use the portal to add existing data from that portal table with a pop-up on the portal field, it keeps adding a new record to that portal table.  I only wish to add a new record through the portal if the record does not exist.  Is there a way to 're-use' an existing record through the portal?

Any help?

Thanks Mark

• 1. Re: Getting a new record when adding through a portal is not what I want to do
          philmodjunk

Your question spawns more questions. A portal set up like you describe requires a one to many relationship. A single record from the layout's table links to many records in the portal's table.

To "reuse" an existing portal with a new layout table record means one of two things:

1) The portal record should no longer be linked to the layout record to which it is currently linked.

2) The portal record should be linked to both records in the layout's table. (this, in turn, means that you have a many to many relationship.)

Which would be the case here?

• 2. Re: Getting a new record when adding through a portal is not what I want to do
            markgordie

Thanks Phil

I have managed to sort out the ability to use the information from a 'portal table' by creating a second TO (just now, sorry).  But now the problem I have is when I try and do a report using the data from the portal, it only gives me the first line from the portal.

Any suggestions on that sir?

• 3. Re: Getting a new record when adding through a portal is not what I want to do
              philmodjunk

It's a difficult question to answer given that I know next to nothing about your file and relationships, but many reports that use data originally entered via a portal are set up on a new layout based on the portal's table instead of the parent table. This can be very flexible and fields from the parent table are often included in the header, footer, sub summary and/or grand summary layout parts to produce the needed results.

On the other hand, this is not possible to do in every case.

• 4. Re: Getting a new record when adding through a portal is not what I want to do
                markgordie

Here is a screen capture of my tables.  I am a teacher trying to create a DB for creating and storing course training standards.  A Program will have several Courses and a single course will have multiple Competency's and a competency will have multiple Outcomes.

If I create a new Program from the attached screen, I use the portal to select the courses already populated in the course table.  Then I would like to print a report with all the courses listed for that program.

Does that help at all???

• 5. Re: Getting a new record when adding through a portal is not what I want to do
                  philmodjunk

If I create a new Program from the attached screen, I use the portal to select the courses already populated in the course table.

And to which table does your portal refer?

From what I can see here, you should set up a portal to Programs_Courses and enable allow creation for Programs_Courses in the Programs to Programs_Courses relationship. Selecting a course from the program would entail selecting a value in the foreign key field in Programs_Courses that links that table to a record in Courses. This will create new records in Programs_Courses but data in Courses will remain unmodified.

• 6. Re: Getting a new record when adding through a portal is not what I want to do
                    markgordie

Works great.

How do I get all the records from the portal to print? When I do a report, it only gives me the first record from the portal.

• 7. Re: Getting a new record when adding through a portal is not what I want to do
                      philmodjunk

How is your report layout designed? What table occurrence is selected for this layout in Layout Setup|Show Records From?

What do you want to show on your report?

If you want to list multiple programs with all the specified courses, set up a list view report layout based on your join table (Program_Courses). You can add fields to this layout from Programs--usually by adding them to a header, footer, sub summary or Grand summary layout part. You can include fields from Courses in the Body layout part.

You can perform a find to pull up a found set of the records for one or more programs, sort them to group them by program and print.