3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2012 1:58 PM by philmodjunk

Getting a value from a related DB

AToprak

Title

Getting a value from a related DB

Hello All:

Instead of displaying a filed from a related table, I would like to get the value of that field at the time of the record creation to a field in the main table.  How do I do this?

I tried the following and it does not work:

• Used a calculated field
      • Set it equal to the related field
      • Tried to uncheck the "Do not store claculation results--recalculate when needed"

I get "The calculation "field_name" cannot be stored or indexed because it references a related field, a summary field, an unstored calculation field, or a field with global storage."

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Getting a value from a related DB
          philmodjunk

Why does the value need to be stored?

How will you use this value?

• 2. Re: Getting a value from a related DB
            AToprak

The values in the related field are dates that show when a particular event last took place. They get updated throughout the year.

When a record is created in the main table, I want to capture the date when this event took place last at the time of the creation of the record. I do not want the record to display, say two years down the road, the latest date. I want it to display the original historical date.

Thanks 

-----------------------------------

• 3. Re: Getting a value from a related DB
              philmodjunk

Ok, makes sense and invoicing systems handle the same issue when implementing price changes.

Select your field in manage | Database | fields and open field options

Click the auto-enter tab and select the looked up value option. Use the setting that appear to specify that the field copy a value from the matching field in the related table.