1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 11:09 AM by TSGal

Getting category value from sub category

Socio.t

Title

Getting category value from sub category

Hello,

I'm trying to make a database that manage my bank account transactions.

In one bank account I have 2 sub categories if I can call it like that. They would be "Current Account" and "Credit Card". I separate this two categories in order that I know if the transactions were made from a regular bank account transfer or if I payed something with my card and keep track at the end of the month.

I made three tables:

Table Accounts: Account Number; Account Name; Bank Name

Table SubAccount: Account Number; SubAccount Number (credit card number);  SubAccount Name

Table Transctions: Account Number; SubAccount Number;Description;Debit; Credit; Total

As you can see the relationship between the three table is made trough the Account Number and at the end I shoud be able to get the transactions related to each bank account and if I used the credit card or made a transfer by the "Current Account".

To make things easier for the user I thought that it would be nice for them to just select the "SubAccount Number" and it would automatically return the respective "Account Number" in Transaction layout.

I already tried using the Lookup function and Script Triggering but I can't get it to work.

Any ideas of how it could work? Maybe I'm getting it complicated.

Thank you very much for the help.

Best Regards,

Socio

• 1. Re: Getting category value from sub category
          TSGal

Socio.t:

Thank you for your post.

The Relationship between Accounts and SubAccount is based on "Account Number".

The Relationship between SubAccount and Transactions is based on "SubAccount Number"

In the Transactions table, set the Options for "Account Number" to be a Lookup into the SubAccount table, returning the Account Number.  Then, when you enter a SubAccount number, the Account Number will automatically be populated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.