0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 12:12 PM by cjcj01

Getting dynamic data from Filemaker Pro via an ODBC connection via Excel for Mac - it can be done!

cjcj01

Title

Getting dynamic data from Filemaker Pro via an ODBC connection via Excel for Mac - it can be done!

I'm posting this here as it has taken my over 10 hours of searching to find the answer and with no guide provided by Filemaker, I hope this will help someone else find the answer more quickly.

It's a simple cut and paste and link to an existing forum discussion, but it's not titled very well, so it's difficult to find the info via google.

So kudos to TSGAL for making this work and for the all important link to the iODBC Administrator:

http://download.cnet.com/iODBC-Driver-Manager-Administrator-SDK/3000-2070_4-51225.html

which is the key to getting this set up.  Filemaker guys? Can't you update your very out dated documentation and even perhaps include this software as a third party app on the CD?  It has caused immense frustration from many people trying to work out how to get this done.

Here goes, here's the original link and a copy of the key post for posterity. 

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=14824

1. I downloaded the iODBC Administrator at: http://download.cnet.com/iODBC-Driver-Manager-Administrator-SDK/3000-2070_4-51225.html

2. I installed it, and it was placed inside my Hard Drive -> Applications -> iODBC (folder)

3. I put in my FileMaker Pro 10 disc, opened the xDBC directory and copied the SequeLink.bundle into the Hard Drive -> Library -> ODBC (folder)

4. I launched FileMaker Pro 10, created a new database file "Test.fp7" with one field (Name) and one record (TSGal)

5. I pulled down the File menu and selected "Sharing -> ODBC/JDBC..."

6. I turned on ODBC Sharing, selected "Test.fp7" in the lower left, and set ODBC/JDBC access to "All Users", and clicked "OK".

7. I launched iODBC Administrator and selected the tab "ODBC Drivers".

8. I clicked "Add a driver", and entered the following information: Description of the driver: myODBCdriver Driver file name: /Library/ODBC/SequeLink.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ivslk20.dylib (Note: Be sure to manually type this in. Do not paste! ) Click "OK".

9. Click on the System DSN tab, and click the "Add" button.

10. I entered the following information.

Data Source Name (DSN): myTESTDB1

Keyword: Host Value: 127.0.0.1  

Keyword: Port Value: 2399

Keyword: ServerDataSource Value: Test

Click OK.  

11. Now, you should be set up. Click the "Test" button. This should return everything was successful. If not, then let me know what is the error message, and we'll proceed from there.