2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2012 7:18 AM by philmodjunk

Getting Frustrated with Reports

ChrisGrueber

Title

Getting Frustrated with Reports

OK i am trying to write a Database for quality data collection using Filemaker Pro 12.  I am also using file maker GO for my quality inspectors so they can collect defect data on the fly.  Writing the database has been pretty easy now i am to the reporting side of things and cannot get it to show the data i need.  I wrote my original database in access, but wanted the portability of File maker GO.  Can someone help?  I have attached a picture of the basic report i am looking for from File Maker but i cannot get it to give me what i am looking.  I have also created Queries in access to sort the data i needed, but have yet to figure out how i do this in file maker.  The basic layout i want is such - We build boats and each one has a serial number, they go through several stations of build and they have different rooms.  I built in access an entree page where i could input a boat serial number, choose a station, choose a room, and tell access to run my query and generate a report based on the criteria.  I cannot for the life of me get file maker to do this task.  I would even be willing to send my database to someone to look at where i have gone wrong.  I need to keep it simple for managers and supervisors to easily get the information they are looking for to fix the problems

Slide1.JPG

• 1. Re: Getting Frustrated with Reports
          ChrisGrueber

Here is my report

• 2. Re: Getting Frustrated with Reports
            philmodjunk

What you don't tell us in your posts is the structure of your database. Thus, I must confine my response to very generalized examples:

You have two methods for querying a FileMaker database. The first method may be done manually or via a script:

1) Enter find mode, specify the criteria for the find and perform the find. As a scripted find, it's possible to set up global fields in which the user enters/selects criteria and then the script uses that criteria to perform the find.

Enter Find Mode [] ---> clear the pause check box
                 Set Field [YoutTable::YourField ; Globals::GlobalFIeld ]---> Second field must be global and can be part of an expression that includes find operators
                 #You can put many more steps here to produce many different types of queries of your data
                 Set Error Capture[on] ---> keeps error dialog from interrupting your script if no records are found
                 Perform Find[]

2) You can use a relationship to find the records for your report. If you can add a portal to a layout that lists the records you want in your report, then the Go To Related Records script step may be used to pull up a found set of related records for use in your report.