2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2008 1:10 PM by fitch

Getting it together

topcat

Title

Getting it together

<!--  StartFragment  -->

Here is my problem; we are graphics and printing company. So here we goon a small project. Say a newsletter using InDesign, Photoshop and ms word andmaybe illustrator.

We open the InDesign and bring in a word doc, start theproject.

Now the boss comes over and says we need get that proof outon the Letter Head we started yesterday. (where did I put that ?)Then the phonerings, then a customer comes to the counter.

Ok now we are all over the place.

Now we have little files on the desk top, customer file thatwe created at the start, that word file that came in a email and photos on aflash drive that was dragged to the desk top

And the phone rings again. 

Ok now it calms down. And we can start back on thatnewsletter. Where did I put that word file and I forgot what I named thatproject or photo that I worked on in Photoshop

So what we need is some kind of tool that will help us keeptrack of all the files for a given project. Inthe same place. We keep a Customer file and within that file we try toput all the links for that project. But with all the turmoil we seem to missfile or loose some of the valuable photos, graphics etc.

Can you offer a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Mike McHale

Ps weare on Mac OS 10.5<!--  EndFragment  -->

• 1. Re: Getting it together
          Jens Teich
             Nice post :)

You definitely need FileMaker! Have a look at the example databases shipped with the application and consider reading a book. Using FileMaker 9 is the name of my favorite.

And ask here if you have any distinct questions. Only nice people around here, no flames. Everybody willing to help. Nice community.

Jens

5 hours till Happy New Year in Germany

• 2. Re: Getting it together
            fitch
               FileMaker does make available some free templates ( http://www.filemaker.com/solutions/creative/ ), but IMO you'd be better off looking at a commercial product (developed in FileMaker) such as: http://www.studio-manager.com/