1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 2:14 PM by SteveMartino

Getting Multiple names to sort in Portals

AlanMassey

Title

Getting Multiple names to sort in Portals

I'm a novice at FMP so bear with me on this one.

I'm trying to get records from one layout/table (shared rooms) to show up in a portal on another layout (Principal Investigator).  I have the "principal investigator" fields linked in the relationships diagram.  I want the Principal investigator layout to have a portal that shows all the rooms that this person uses.  If the "principal Investigator" field in the (Shared Room) layout matches the one in the (Principal Investigator) layout the room shows up in the portal.  Perfect right?  Except I want to be able to list multiple names in the "principal Investigator" field on the (Shared Room)  but when I do this it the room doesn't show up on either of the (PI) records anymore.

I've tried separating the names with "," ";" ":" and none of them work.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

• 1. Re: Getting Multiple names to sort in Portals
          SteveMartino

That's quite a description, little hard to follow.

You have a layout, Principal Investigator.

You want to show a portal on PI, Shared Room, that shows all the rooms, one particular PI used.

What do you mean by:

I have the "principal investigator" fields linked in the relationships diagram

Which fields, what type of fields are they?  It should be a primary key from PI linking to a foreign key from Shared Room.

Except I want to be able to list multiple names in the "principal Investigator" field on the (Shared Room)  but when I do this it the room doesn't show up on either of the (PI) records anymore.

This is most likely from the relationship not being set properly.  PI field in PI will only contain one name, and PI field in Shared Room will have multiple names, so it will never match.  If you set it up properly, it will work fine.

Say you have 3 PI's:

Mike, Bob, Tom, and they shared room #1

On Each of their PI records, the portal should show a shared room #1, that lists MIke, Bob, Tom

But if Mike & Bob share a room, shared room #2,then in their respective portals, you will see in the portal:

shared room #1  Mike, Bob, Tom

shared room #2   Mike, Bob

On Tom's PI record, there will be only one portal record:

shared room #1 Mike, Bob, Tom

The field on the shared room layout would be called tenants.  I assume you are populating it manually.  When you put that field in the portal it will show all the correct names.  They should be in a list, separated by a comma. 

This is the basics, but a whole better way may be to do it the opposite way and base the layout on Shared Room, and put a portal of PI

It depends on what else the database does, needs to do, or you want it to do