1 Reply Latest reply on May 28, 2010 11:36 AM by philmodjunk

Getting started after years with SQL Server, Interbase and Access

rtcary

Title

Getting started after years with SQL Server, Interbase and Access

I do not have any projects in mind, however it appears that the popularity of the Mac platform is gaining at a brisk clip.  With that in mind, I thought that it would behoove me to get my feet wet with File Maker.  

Does one need to bite the bullet and get File maker Pro for $300 or is there a less expensive way?

Will the skills learned with the client version directly transfer to the server version.  Outside of Access and SQLite, all of my background has been with server DBMS's.

Many thanks for recommendations...

Todd

• 1. Re: Getting started after years with SQL Server, Interbase and Access
          philmodjunk

There's a free 30 trial download available. That's your least expensive option for getting your feet wet.

Will the skills learned with the client version directly transfer to the server version?

Compared to scaling up an Access database to something like SQL server, scaling up a basic install of filemaker for use on a server version is a piece of cake. For the most part, you simply upload your files to the server and start using them. No file conversions or data migration needed.