2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 8:32 AM by philmodjunk

given a record , show only the related fields

MarcoBellazzi

Title

given a record , show only the related fields

Good day,

I apologize upfront for my ignorance, but I am a novice on filemaker pro 12 and I am trying to figure oput a way to display only the fields that are related to a specific record.

Example I enter a part number that needs to be inspected with certain characteristics and specs.

I have a list of characteristics form A to Z and this particular item only need ti use A-B-D-F-J

How do I apply this to filemaker.

Thanks

Marco

• 1. Re: given a record , show only the related fields
          raybaudi

Fields are always related to their record.

Did you mean: "...to display only the records that are related to a specific record" ?

• 2. Re: given a record , show only the related fields
            philmodjunk

I suspect that you have a list of characteristics and each part needs to link to a specific subset of these characteristics. If you put each characteristic in a separate record as raybaudi suggested, we have a many to many relationship that we can implement with a join table. Any given part can link to any number of characteristic records and any given Characteristic may be linked to muliple parts.

Parts-------<Part_Characteristic>-------Characteristics

Parts::__pkPartID = Part_Characteristic::_fkPartID
                 Characteristics::__pkCharacteristicID = Characteristics::_fkCharacteristicID

If this notation is not familiar, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

With this setup, a portal to Part_Characteristic placed on a Parts layout can list all the Characteristics for that Part. (Fields from Characteristics can be placed in that portal's row.) A portal to the same table placed on a Characteristics layout can list all Parts that have that characteristic.