3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 2:16 PM by comment_1

Global Field in FMP 11

Terri

Title

Global Field in FMP 11

I have to admit, I don't work with global fields often. But I feel like I have read all the information regarding them on this site as I possibly can (my brain is numb) so now I come to you to simplify it for me.

Problem: the global field disappears from my layout. (If it is indexed it is there, if it is gobal, it is gone). Why??

Facts:

1. It is in the header of my layout.

2. It is a simple text calcuation - if field A = X, this global field should = Y. (I used a CASE formula.)

3. My primary goal of making it global is that it prints on all pages of my report.

Thanks!

Terri

• 1. Re: Global Field in FMP 11
          comment_1

Terri wrote:

It is a simple text calcuation - if field A = X, this global field should = Y.

Is field A a global field?

• 2. Re: Global Field in FMP 11
            Terri

No, it isn't. The Global Field mentioned is the only one I want to show up on all the pages. But if they both need to be, that isn't a problem, I can just put Field A far to the outside.

So to retype my equation and make it simpler:

Field A (not global) = X; Field B (global) = Y

Should they both be global?

I hope that answers your question.

• 3. Re: Global Field in FMP 11
              comment_1

Terri wrote:

Should they both be global?

I cannot say, because I don't know what this is really about. But if Field A is NOT global, the calculation is evaluated whenever Field A is modified (on ANY record), using the value of Field A from the CURRENT record. This result then holds for ALL records - regardless of the value they may have in Field A.