1 Reply Latest reply on May 12, 2011 10:15 AM by philmodjunk

Global field info pops up when creating a new record

truji_

Title

Global field info pops up when creating a new record

I have two tables: Students, IEP.

In the students layout, I have a button that creates a new record in the IEP table. Works fine. However, when i'm in the IEP layout, and create a new record, the information from the student I previously created the IEP for, pops up. It should be a blank record. How do I clear the global field or how can I fix it so that when I create a new record, the layout is blank?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Global field info pops up when creating a new record
          philmodjunk

Since global fields store the same data for all your records, they won't change when you create a new record. You'll need to clear this field as part of your new record operation or clear it as the last step of a script where you used that data in the global field in the first place.

you can use Set Field [YourTale::YourGlobalField ; "" ] To clear the global field in a script.

Example 1: If the global field is used in a script to find records, you can add this step to the end of the script to clear the field after you have found the records.

Example 2: If you put a button on your layout for creating new records, it could use this script:

New Record/request
          Set Field [YourTale::YourGlobalField ; "" ]

Example 3: If you have FileMaker Advanced, you can add a custom menu for your layout that performs the script from example 2 whenever you select New Record from the Records menu or press the keyboard shortcut for creating a new record.