1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 10:27 AM by philmodjunk

Global Fields Question

MikeProcopio

Title

Global Fields Question

I have a databse where I print reports basically off the same layout besides switching some text around and scripts on buttons. I have about 200+ layouts that basically are the same.

I've been told I can use global fields to solve this issue, but I'm not to familiar. Is there a way that I can use one layout and switch the text based on calcualtions of some kind??

Thanks

• 1. Re: Global Fields Question
          philmodjunk

I'm not sure what problem you are trying to solve.

I have about 200+ layouts that basically are the same.

how are they different from each other?

What do you want to change with this approach?

• 2. Re: Global Fields Question
            MikeProcopio

OK so I have the main layout that has all of the information and then I have 50 buttons, each representing a state that takes the user to sort fields based on their state. Its basically just a report with the same information. Each of the state layouts have 3 buttons on it that basically takes them to the same layout but its a different sub summary report.

Each Layout has a title in the header like "TOP PLAYERS IN DELEWARE" and then lists the players based on ranking. THe only reason why I have 4 layouts per state and just dont keep the same layouts with 4 different sub summary reports is because I number the records with a different summary field that counts say players in a certain class, the next layout may count the records when sorted by position and the count starts over after each request.

I'm just wondeirng if there was a way that I can work off one layout and change the title up top and the buttons based on calculations. Again I am talking out of the air here because I have no idea. My biggest issue is if I make a change to a layout I dont want to spend 5 hours changing it on 200+ layouts.

• 3. Re: Global Fields Question
              philmodjunk

Certainly seems like you have way too many layouts. Don't see the logic in having separate layouts for each state. Is layout text at the top of the layout the only difference?

50 buttons seems like an awkard design too. A drop down list of states or their abbreviations would take up much less space on the layout, making less "busy". A script trigger on such a field or a button next to it can perform a script to select the appropriate records and layout.

Global fields and global variables (fileMaker 11 only) can be put on your layout and scripts can be used to load them with data specific to the details of the desired approach. I'm just wondering what kind of table structure lies beneath all of this...

• 4. Re: Global Fields Question
                MikeProcopio

I agree way too many layouts. My Clients which are coaches all coach in different regions of the country. THey are strong in some states and dont care about others. Like a coach form california may not care about players in Rhode Island. SO I have the 50 state buttons where they can then search for players in different states. I dont mind that, but the layouts are definitely an issue for sure.

Not very strong with that. How should I start the process in your opinion for the global variables and global fields. I do have FM11. The table structre isnt too bad though, but the layout issue is definitely big because I know there will be times when I need to make layout changes on the state layouts and I'd rather make one that stretches across.

The text on the top basically is the only difference, and like I said each state has 4 layouts because of the summary fields counting records in a specific graduating year or position etc. I wouldnt mind having 4 layouts and then setting the global variable gobal fields with those 4 and working off of that. THe buttons are all the same on the layouts they just search for players from that specific state and then sort differently dpending on layout..

• 5. Re: Global Fields Question
                  philmodjunk

I don't see why you have separate layouts for each state in the first place. Are these layouts all based on the same data source table or different data source tables?

I need to see the table structure and any relationships involved.

• 6. Re: Global Fields Question
                    MikeProcopio

Its all one source. I just thought since on every layout there were different scripts attached to the buttons that I needed different layouts for each. My mistake for sure. Just dont know how to go about using the 1 layout for the 50 states and changing the scripts for each layout in the buttons.

• 7. Re: Global Fields Question
                      MikeProcopio

I tried to upload the PDF of my relationship table and it didnt work here's the link

http://db.tt/UpXSzH3t

• 8. Re: Global Fields Question
                        philmodjunk

Yeah, make it an image file like a jpg and you can upload it. (Note that the file types listed don't include PDFs.)

• 9. Re: Global Fields Question
                          philmodjunk

You might want to crop your window next time, but I can see the PDF.

On which of these occurrences have you based the layout with your "50 buttons"?

On which of these occurrences ahve you based these report layouts?

Can you upload an example of what one of these reports look like?

• 10. Re: Global Fields Question
                            MikeProcopio

The reports are all off of the same table. Basically I enter player information in the player table. Then if I want to try to get top players in a particular state I press one of the buttons on the main layout. It then has on each line player name height school city and state etc all the info is from same table.

The layout for each state has a subsummary that breaks the player up by position. I have a summary field that puts a number next to each player when sorted by position and then I have separate layouts for each state same basic design that sorts college commitments ,graduating class etc. I have buttons that navigate to main layout as well as sorts other fields. Each state layout designed the same

• 11. Re: Global Fields Question
                              philmodjunk

Then what makes any one of these layouts the least bit different from another? I can see how the scripts have to perform finds with different criteria, but don't see any differences with regards to the design of the layout used to list these players.

You can pass the state or state abbreviation as a script parameter to a single script run from all 50 buttons or you can set up a global field with a value list of all 50 states, in which case, a single script can reference the value in this field to determine which state has been specified.

Your script to pull up the records might be as simple as:

Go to Layout [report layout]
                              Enter Find mode []
                              Set Field [ Players::State ; GlobalFields::gState ]
                              #specify other criteria here
                              Set Error capture [on]
                              perform find[]

• 12. Re: Global Fields Question
                                MikeProcopio

Sorry Phil, I sent a message went to an old link. Sorry about that

• 13. Re: Global Fields Question
                                  MikeProcopio

OK so on the layout the Class Rank will take it to the duplicated layout, the only thing that changes is the subsummary part for Class and there is a summary field that numbers the records when sorted by class.

Same thing for commitment it goes to the duplicated layout with a subsummary part with school committed to with a summary field when sorted by school commited.

I've never worked with GLobal fields before is this a tough script to make?? THe script that you typed out will cover what I need covered??

• 14. Re: Global Fields Question
                                    philmodjunk

So far, I see no need for global fields, but I'm still trying to figure out your layout design. You might post a screen shot of two of them while in layout mode so that you can point out how they differ.

the only thing that changes is the subsummary part for Class and there is a summary field that numbers the records when sorted by class.

But aren't the settings and fields in this sub summary part the same in each layout? If not, how are they different?

1 2 Previous Next