1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 31, 2012 9:14 PM by philmodjunk

Global Storage

Vinny

Title

Global Storage & Indexing for CALC Fields

I am using calc fields for building relationships.  For example, I have a calc field which calculates to "Active" in a table called "accounts" for building a relationship to filter only active accounts.

I have been keeping this field with "Global Storage", but I found issues where the relationship didn't work.  The issue came up when I moved around several tables, and did some major changes to my DB.  (it had been working fine until I made several changes, too many to list here).

When I changed the field to "Do not store calculation results" I found that it worked again.

So this brings me to the question: what is the difference?  Is filemaker somehow "storing" this information somehwere? Does this have to do with "Flush cached joins"?

I guess I need to understand how storage works in this situation.  If you have any comments or can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.  I'm also using this type of method for filtering "Vendors" and "Customers" for the same "accounts" table.

Thank you,

• 1. Re: Global Storage & Indexing for CALC Fields
          philmodjunk

I recommend specifying global storage for a calculation field only in certain very specialized cases. For a key field used in a relationship, unstored will usually be a better option.

Quoting from FileMaker help on calculation fields with global storage:

"Calculations defined with global storage options display values calculated using the last modified record."

Thus, the value returned by a calculation with global storage specified can produce some unexpected results unless you take that detail into consideration.