2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 4:26 PM by JohnDee

Global storage fields not keeping their data and driving me crazy...

JohnDee

Title

Global storage fields not keeping their data and driving me crazy...

I literally input the data, or auto input, see that everything is working well ( i use global fields on an unrelated table to store menu titles, button titles that is is, ui elements etc. ) then I log out of the db (hosted on fms13) and when I log back in everythings blank again...this defies logic...

• 1. Re: Global storage fields not keeping their data and driving me crazy...
          philmodjunk

The global fields appear to be functioning exactly as they have been designed to do. Any changes made to the value of a global field do not persist when made from a client of the hosted database. The values revert to their original values when the file is closed by the client. To make a persistent change to the value of a global field requires making that change from the context of a host session on the database. There are several ways to achieve that:

1.           Take the file down off the server, open it in FileMaker Pro directly. Change the values and return the file to the server.
          3.           Use the server's admin console to run a scheduled script to modify the values.
          5.           If hosting with FileMaker Pro, go to the host machine and modify the values.
          7.           If using FileMaker 13, the new Perform Script On Server script step can perform a script that runs on the server and thus makes a persistent change to a global field.

Clients will not see the change made by options 2 -3 until they close and re-open the file.

See this knowledge base article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3604/kw/global

• 2. Re: Global storage fields not keeping their data and driving me crazy...
            JohnDee

Many thanks, If I 'd wrapped my head around the notion of global fields more, I 'd have gotten there, alas I remained perplexed. I ll try any of the methods. Btw, I took the db off the server today to change remote storage, and did the work there with global fields too. 

I need to buy you a beer or 10 Phil, thanks again.